Artifacts

Part of being a 1st year in the PSL Scholars program involves being put into a small mentor group. Both of my mentors have been great resources, especially in the first couple of months in college. I was given the opportunity to talk with one of my mentors, Anya Chew, a little more in depth about her experiences in Scholars. Anya is double majoring in Political Science and Security and Intelligence. She chose to major in these subject areas because she has always been interested in government as well as cyber security and defense systems. She wants to eventually have a career in the Department of Defense or practice law. Like myself, she is also on the Pre-Law track and is considering attending law school after finishing her undergraduate career at The Ohio State University. She is currently applying for internships in the legal sector and is hoping to work for an attorney.

Anya is extremely involved in activities outside of the classroom. This was encouraging to hear as someone who is hoping to get more involved on campus as the year goes on. She is on the Collegiate Council on World Affairs and she is in Model UN. She volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and Buckeye Food Alliance. Anya is also in Kappa Kappa Gamma. I am rushing at the beginning of next semester, so this was good to hear!

Anya joined PSL Scholars because she thought it would be cool to meet others who are interested in politics and law. Her favorite part of PSL last year was the annual Washington D.C. trip. When I asked Anya how being in a Scholars program makes a difference in the college experience, she shared that it changes the experience by allowing you to connect with others who are motivated by academics and it connects you with people who share a specific interest. She said that it is important to keep in mind that college can be fun, but it is first and foremost about learning.