Look for Clue Words and Numbers
- If two answers are opposite, one is probably correct.
- Answers with the following words are usually incorrect: always, never, all, must
- Answers with the following words are usually correct: seldom, generally, tend to,
- probably, usually
- Look for grammatical clues between the question and the choices. For example, the question and the correct answer often have verbs of the same tense and have nouns and verbs that agree.
- Underline familiar words or phrases from the lecture or textbook.
- Be aware of degrees of correctness. With numbers one choice is usually too small or too large. These choices may be eliminated.
Check out this document from the Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Center for even more tips.