Tackling Reportable Diseases with the CDC in Arkansas

We are excited to share Emily Fletcher’s experience below, funded by Charlie’s Angels fund.

At the beginning of 2024 I had the opportunity to participate in the CDC’s Epidemiology Elective Program. I first was able to travel to Atlanta for the orientation before going to my placement in Arkansas for 8 weeks.

During the orientation I got to learn more about the CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service and tour the old BSL-4 laboratory. During my time in Arkansas I completed over 300 Alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) case investigations. AGS is a red meat allergy that is thought to be acquired through the bite of a Lone Star tick. Arkansas was the first state in the U.S to make this a reportable disease! I was able to work closely with the State public health veterinarian, on creating an online form to be used to report dog bites. I also assisted with a brucellosis and Chagas disease case investigation. Being from Vermont originally, I had never visited or lived in the South before. I was exposed to a different set of cultural and political beliefs than my own. I found this experience to be really eye-opening and rewarding. It allowed me to see how there are a lot of external factors that can affect a State’s ability to respond to public health events. In the time where I wasn’t working hard I was able to explore the Ozarks in Northwest Arkansas and visit Hot Springs National Park!

Without the Global Engagement program I would not have been able to afford this opportunity. This experience allowed me to be a part of field epidemiology work that I would not have been able to complete in the typical 4th year veterinary curriculum. I am forever grateful to the Global Engagement program’s donors for allowing me to participate in this rewarding program!