Field Veterinary Medicine in Mid-Texas

We are excited to share Samantha Edwards’ experience below, funded by Charlie’s Angels fund.

Thanks to this funding I was able to travel to Gustine Texas to work with Dr. Lisa Willis and the amazing staff at Mid-Texas Veterinary Associates. This experience was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. Dr. Willis allows students to take the lead and gain invaluable experience and first hand knowledge of farm animal medicine.

During my time with Dr. Willis I got to work up many equine, bovine and carpine cases both in the field and in the hospital. While there I was able to work on a wide variety of cases ranging from PBR bull travel regulation work; to implementing a SPL system for equine eye ulcer management; to casting goat legs; to treating an equine patient for a rattlesnake bite. I am very thankful to have been the one making patient care decisions, performing procedures and caring for hospitalized patients. Dr. Willis additionally incorporates acupuncture into her pain management regimen which was amazing to be exposed to and practice first hand.

I learned an invaluable amount during my time with Dr. Willis and her amazing staff. They truly allowed me to take the reins and be the veterinarian. I am incredibly thankful for this funding, for this opportunity and for everyone at Mid-Texas Veterinary Associates.