College-Aged Students With Autism Spectrum Disorder (Parker)

Advocacy Plan

According to Anderson and Butt (2017), college students with ASD were usually able to access general disability support services but not ASD-specific services on their college campuses.  The Ohio State University does provide support services for students with ASD, but this program is not tied to Student Life Disability Services (SLDS), which is OSU’s disability support service.  Rather, the program is run through OSU’s Nisonger Center, which works to better the lives of people with developmental disabilities. This program is not free for its members.  College students with ASD who wish to be a part of this program have to a pay fee; scholarships are available but limited.

Members expressed to me that this program has helped them transition to college and live independent and successful lives. Funding is a problem for some students in the program, though.  To advocate for OSU students with ASD, I want to talk more with the program’s director on future plans for funding.  I also want to work with the director to reach out to Nisonger and SLDS to discuss a potential collaboration between the two centers.  My hope is that this will create a fully-funded, support services program for OSU students with ASD.  Eventually, I hope to see SLDS create more specific services to meet the diverse needs of all of the students they serve.  I feel ready to take on this challenge and to advocate for the students I have gotten to know throughout my cultural immersion process.  I took a picture of South Oval from the Ohio Union to represent my advocacy plan.  The Ohio Union houses the Office of Student Life, and I believe it is through this office that positive changes will occur to create a more inclusive environment on OSU’s campus.

Servant Leadership

I think it is important to remember that we all have several dimensions to our identity; we are not just one identity even if others might see as such. I have been getting to know a few college students on the autism spectrum, and I have been learning about the identities they hold outside of having ASD that are most important to them. One thing we can do every day is to talk to the people around us and get to know them as individuals, which is something the college students I have talked to have shared they want to happen more often.  I can understand how frustrating it is to be seen as one thing when there is more to me than one part of my identity.  I hope we can all remind ourselves of that feeling and challenge ourselves to get to know people for who they are.

I took a picture of a coffee shop to demonstrate this servant leadership plan.  Coffee shops are usually bustling with people in line or sitting at tables, which means we have the opportunity to talk to so many people if we choose.  It can be uncomfortable to talk to a stranger, but it can be a meaningful experience in which you both learn a great deal from one another.  Individuals with ASD often experience difficulty socially integrating into a college community (Ashbaugh, Koegel, & Koegel, 2017).  This is something I have struggled with as an individual without ASD, and I felt like I belonged to a community when my peers talked to me during my first semester as an undergraduate.  We can simply talk to the people around us because we do not truly know their stories or anything about them until we ask.

Strengths-Based Needs

According to Anderson, Carter, and Stephenson (2018), college students with ASD report their biggest strengths lie in academics, including attention to detail, technology skills, creative thoughts, strong memory, and consistency. These strengths are important for academic success, but students with ASD often struggle with the social skills that often help college students achieve success inside and outside of the classroom.  College students with ASD might benefit from on-campus programs that take into account individuals’ interests and strengths and help them find student involvement opportunities that align well with their interests and strengths (Ashbaugh, Koegel, & Koegel, 2017).  Such programs would give students with ASD the opportunity to practice social skills in settings where they already have strengths.  I think these programs should also focus on practicing social skills with peers who are and are not on the autism spectrum.  ACE! is a private program run through Ohio State’s Nisonger Center that gives college students with ASD the opportunity to meet with each other, as well as with peer mentors, facilitators, and volunteers.  Peer mentors are individuals with ASD who have been in ACE! and have since graduated.  They provide social support and advice to members of the program.  Facilitators are social work graduate students who provide social and academic support such as leading study sessions, attending social events, and sitting in on advisor appointments.  This program is not free, but it helps students with ASD develop self-confidence in their social interactions.

I think my image of a group study room represents the strengths-focused needs of college students with ASD.  It represents the idea that academics and social interactions can be brought together in a way that focuses on academic strengths, while overcoming social challenges. I feel confused by the lack of free on-campus programs for students with ASD that could help meet their needs.  I was nervous to join student organizations as an undergraduate student, and now I am trying to imagine how much more challenging that process might have been if I were on the autism spectrum because of the added social stressors.  The people who need help developing self-confidence in their social skills and abilities are our peers and fellow collegiate scholars; I want to remember that when I am sitting around a table with my peers.

Reference:

Anderson, A. H., Carter, M., & Stephenson, J. (2018). Perspectives of university students with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48(3), 651–665. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3257-3

Systemic Challenges

I decided to take a picture of a bridge on campus to represent the systemic challenges college students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) face every day.  I think college students with ASD are impacted by a gap (or bridge) in what they need and the lack of training and knowledge of professionals who could be resources for them.  Universities might have counseling centers and programs for students with differing levels of ability.  However, the professionals in these settings might not be aware of the specific needs of individuals with ASD, and college counselors might not even be aware that the students they are working with have ASD (Ashbaugh, Koegel, & Koegel, 2017). I agree with this finding, and I believe this bridge is a real obstacle for college students with ASD.  I am learning that awareness of these issues might be the first step toward positive change and social equity for college students with ASD.  I think this process is something we, as college students, all need be involved in because it is our personal responsibility to be aware of what our peers are experiencing and understand the role we play in those experiences.  I feel humbled and frustrated as I reflect on how, as a peer, I am a part of the challenges that college students with ASD face every day.  I also feel charged and ready to work on myself, my implicit biases, and the systemic obstacles my peers are facing.

Annotated Bibliography

Anderberg, E., Cox, J. C., Neeley Tass, E. S., Erekson, D. M., Gabrielsen, T. P., Warren, J. S., . . . South, M. (2017). Sticking with it: Psychotherapy outcomes for adults with autism spectrum disorder in a university counseling center setting. Autism Research, 10(12),2048-2055. doi:10.1002/aur.1843

The purpose of this study was to compare the outcomes of psychotherapy in counseling centers for students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and neurotypical students.  Almost half of adults with ASD have at least one anxiety disorder.  Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has shown positive outcomes for adults with ASD.  Little research has been done on psychotherapy as a counseling intervention strategy for adults with ASD.  The literature is current and relevant.  It could be beneficial to explore studies focused on using CBT in counseling adults with ASD.  Participants were selected through archival records of students who received counseling and treatment at a university counseling and psychological treatment center between 1993 and 2015.  The final sample included 76 students with ASD, 91 students with suspected ASD, and 21,546 neurotypical individuals.  All data were collected from the participants’ records.  Prior to each session at the center, participants completed the Outcome Questionnaire 45 to evaluate their level of distress throughout the entirety of their counseling process.  The researchers examined whether the average change of distress levels from start to finish differed between clients with ASD, clients suspected of having ASD, and neurotypical clients.  The study found that clients with ASD initially had trouble with therapy, which might demonstrate that therapy is a stressful social situation for clients with ASD.  Clients with ASD and neurotypical clients had similar changes in their levels of distress throughout counseling.  Clients with ASD usually stayed in therapy twice as long to see these results, though. An important implication of this study for my cultural immersion experience is understanding that counseling centers need to be aware that they have clients who have ASD and that they might need to spend a longer time in counseling, which might go beyond set session limits.  This is important in developing a plan to advocate for college students with ASD on their campuses because counselors need to be aware of their clients and their needs.  I think this study’s use of archival records was interesting.  It generated a large sample size with a lot of numerical data, but it did not focus on the individuals.  I think this study could be conducted similarly in present time with the same distress level assessments before each session.  I would also collect assessments on the view of progress throughout the sessions from the counselor’s perspective and client’s perspective. This might help counselors better understand what individuals with ASD might need in counseling.

Anderson, C., & Butt, C. (2017). Young adults on the autism spectrum at college: Successes and stumbling blocks. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 47(10), 3029–3039. doi:10.1007/s10803-017-3218-x

The purpose of this study was to understand why young adults with ASD have less success in independent living, worse employment outcomes, and two years following high school without any college or employment experiences compared to young adults with disabilities.  The three previously listed constructs are findings from previous research.  These findings are part of current research and raise important questions (including the research question of the present study).  Previous research has not focused on the connections of high school support and college outcomes of students with ASD, and most research has focused on current college students with ASD rather than individuals with ASD after graduating or dropping out of college.  College students face challenges in adjusting to college, and the social and community interactions surrounding college life make this adjustment even more challenging for college students with ASD.  This qualitative study involved interviewing 18 individuals with ASD who had college experience and interviewing their parent(s).  The interviews were unstructured with open-ended questions.  The researchers used the constant comparative method to generate common themes between the young adult interviews and the parent interviews.  Four themes surrounding college performance were found: preparation beyond academics, student/college fit, campus supports, and family supports.  The results showed that students with ASD had better college outcomes when non-academic issues were addressed by families and high schools before they left high school. However, academic success in high school was more often addressed and used as an indicator of college success. Using non-academic and academic components to match students to their best fit colleges was important in their college success.  Students were usually able to find general disability support services on their campuses but not ASD-specific services.  The study also found that pushing a student with ASD to attend college at 18 could negatively affect their college outcomes if they are not ready to attend college immediately after high school.  Implications of this study include understanding the role non-academic high school support plays in college outcomes for students with ASD and the realization that college campuses might lack in support services for students with ASD.  These are topics that I can discuss with college students with ASD during my cultural immersion experience to develop a plan that can help high schools and colleges understand what their students need.  I liked that this study focused on college outcomes to determine what might or might not work for college students with ASD.  I think a longitudinal study following high school students with ASD through college would be beneficial because students would not have to try to remember past experiences.  Instead, the differences in outcomes could be assessed by researchers and used to understand how to help high schoolers with ASD prepare for the demands of college and the transition they will face.

Ashbaugh, K., Koegel, R. L., & Koegel, L. K. (2017). Increasing social integration for college students with autism spectrum disorder. Behavioral Development Bulletin, 22(1), 183–196. doi:10.1037/bdb0000057

The purpose of this study was to examine if a structured social planning intervention increased the social integration of college students with ASD into their college communities.  Previous research demonstrates that college students with ASD struggle to participate in social activities, and this impacts their integration into the college community.  It has been shown that structured social planning increases social activities for college students with ASD.  This research is mainly from 2001, so it is moderately current but still slightly outdated.  It seems relevant, and this study further specifies the structured social planning, which has greater benefit.  The sample included 3 college students with ASD and low levels of social engagement with peers.  Each participant was paired with a peer mentor who was an undergraduate student and was familiar with ASD through a course or training.  Baseline social activity participation was assessed through participants logging social activities they participated in during their everyday lives.  A structured social planning intervention was implemented that involved: incorporating the participant’s motivational interests, participant’s choosing the social activity they engage in from options of activities based on their interests, organizational skills training, support from their peer mentor, and social skills training related to peer communication and interaction. Participants were assessed on the following dependent measures: number of college and other community-based social activities they attended each week, number of extracurricular activities they attended each week, and the total number of different peers with whom the participant interacted with at social activities.  They were also assessed on their academic performance through their GPA and on social validation through a self-report questionnaire regarding their satisfaction with social and college experiences.  The intervention was effective for all the students, specifically in community-based activity attendance, involvement with extra-curricular activities, interactions with different peers, academic performance, and satisfaction with their college experiences.  Therefore, a structured social plan with such focuses might be beneficial for college students with ASD.  Implications for my cultural immersion experience program include discussing implementing structured social plans with university resources (such as CCS, University Housing, or Wilce Student Health Center) to help students with ASD have a positive college experience.  I think the structured social plan is a good strategy to help students with ASD live independently and engage in social activities that they enjoy. I appreciate the researchers measuring the participants’ satisfaction with their college experiences because it keeps in mind the importance of the individual and their satisfaction instead of solely relying on the numbers of social activities attended or the number of peers with whom they have interacted.  I am interested in learning if structured social plans are implemented through any of Ohio State’s resources and what students who have utilized them think of them.

Eklund, H., Findon, J., Cadman, T., Hayward, H., Murphy, D., Asherson, P., . . . Xenitidis, K. (2018). Needs of adolescents and young adults with neurodevelopmental disorders: Comparisons of young people and parent perspectives. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48(1), 83-91. doi:10.1007/s10803-017-3295-x

The purpose of this study was to compare the perceptions of needs of young adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and ASD between young adults with either of these disorders and their parents.  Recent reports show that the needs of young adults with ADHD or ASD and their parents’ concerns should be met through mental health services, rather than focusing solely on their diagnoses.  It is difficult for young adults with ADHD or ASD to receive the mental health services they need because their disorders do not usually meet criteria surrounding severity. This lack of care while transitioning to adulthood adds stress to the individual and their family.  Thus, it is important to look at multiple perspectives of needs since the family is also affected.  Research on the importance of needs-led mental healthcare is from 1994. The research on the struggles of transitioning to adulthood and lack of mental healthcare is more recent.  The combination of these ideas contributes to a unique overlap for the current study.  The sample in this study included 168 families with a young adult between the age of 14 and 24 who has ADHD or ASD and their parents.  85 participants had ASD, and 83 participants had ADHD. Thus, 85 parent participants had young adult-aged children with ASD, and 83 parent participants had young adult-aged children with ADHD.  Each individual with ASD or ADHD and one of their parents completed The Camberwell Assessment of Needs for Adults with Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities (CANDID), which created 168 paired data sets of needs across 25 domains.  The study found that individuals with ADHD or ASD perceived less need for themselves than their parents did.  This might be attributed to cognitive difficulties often associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.  The authors of the study link this idea with the possibility that lack of mental health services for individuals with ADHD or ASD might be related to individuals with ADHD or ASD not utilizing such resources.  Implications for this study include sharing available resources with young adults with ADHD or ASD and developing resources that meet their specific needs.  I like that this study assessed a wide variety of needs.  However, I am not sure I believe that the lack of beneficial mental healthcare services for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders is due to lack of utilization.  I think further exploration needs to be done.  Possibilities include an assessment of college students without neurodevelopmental disorders to see if students in general might be unaware of available mental health resources or exploring how colleges can better promote mental health resources to their students.

Gelbar, N. W., Smith, I., & Reichow, B. (2014). Systematic review of articles describing experience and supports of individuals with autism enrolled in college and university programs. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 44(10), 2593–2601. doi:10.1007/s10803-014-2135-5

The purpose of this article was to systematically review previous literature on the personal experiences of college students with ASD.  The number of individuals with ASD has increased over the years, so it is likely the number of college students with ASD will also increase.  Overall, there seems to an increased acceptance of college students with ASD, but families of college students with ASD have expressed that concerns such as bullying still exist for the students.  College students with ASD often struggle academically and socially.  With this knowledge and the probability of more college students with ASD, it is important to understand the needs of college students with ASD and how they have been successfully supported.  The researchers selected articles based on the following criteria: contained college students with ASD, contained their first-hand reports of services, support, and experiences, and the articles were in English, peer-reviewed, and published. The final sample included 20 articles that described the experiences of 69 individuals.  The researchers observed how often college experiences, academic supports and services, and non-academic supports and services were described in these studies.  This review found that there is limited research on the first-hand experiences of college students with ASD (only 20 articles).  Only two of the articles used experimental designs; the rest relied on case studies or brief descriptions of experiences.  This demonstrates that there is little evidence-based support for college students with ASD.  An important implication of this systematic review for my cultural immersion experience is understanding that quantitative research needs to occur for the benefit of college students with ASD.  By listening to the needs of college students with ASD, I might be able to share ideas with researchers in this area to work toward evidenced-based practices that could meet their needs and help them find success in a university setting.  I think this review pulled out some important data to help determine what research needs to be done to benefit college students with ASD.   I think that the 18 qualitative studies in this review have probably been beneficial in diving deeply into what individuals express they need despite the author focusing on the two quantitative studies.  I think the authors could have studied common themes between the articles instead of focusing on what percentage of the articles discussed certain themes.  The common themes could have generated more specific areas for future research.