Week 4: The Importance and Significance of the Discipline of Nonviolence to Achieve a Positive Result

The United States was founded in the concept of civil disobedience, inasmuch as the nation’s Founding Fathers felt it necessary to protect the right to free speech and the right to assemble, making these principles essential elements of the First Amendment when drafting the United States Constitution (Admin). Nonviolent protests, sit-ins, boycotts, strikes, and marches have been integral to enacting change within our history. These nonviolent actions were driving forces in the success of movements for civil liberties, racial equality, equal voting rights, and fair labor practices among others.

Nonviolent resistance is seen as more effective than violent actions because it is rooted in the morality that harming another human, especially without provocation, is immoral and unjust. Nonviolent action appeals to the humanity of the opposition, seeking not to overpower or humiliate, but to love their enemies with the intent to gain friendship and ultimately respect (Admin). Nonviolent actions are statistically more likely to be successful than violent actions when seeking to create change or right injustices. The graph from a Washington Post article by Max Fisher located in the featured image section posits that “an uprising becomes 50 percent more likely to fail if it turns to violence” (Max Fisher). It is further asserted that “a violent uprising can end up polarizing people in support of the government, whereas a government crackdown against a nonviolent uprising will often reduce public support for the regime” thereby increasing the success of nonviolent campaigns (Fisher).

The principles of nonviolence and pacifism were utilized and taught by influential figures such as Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and Congressman John Lewis. A portion of March Book One describes the actions taken by John Lewis and his fellow protestors while trying to integrate a Woolworth lunch counter in Nashville during the segregation period of the 1960s. The group was successful because they employed techniques of nonviolence that they had trained and implemented not only in their strategies to reach a desired outcome but within their daily lives. They were organized, respectful, and polite when faced with adversity thereby leading to a peaceable resolve in time by changing the attitude of their opposition (“Nonviolence Philosophy”). These nonviolent actions and the results epitomize the very constructs the Founding Fathers sought to provide and protect.

Works Cited:

Admin on July 14th, 2016. “On Violence in the South: Nonviolent Protest.” Center for the Study of Southern Culture, 14 July 2016, southernstudies.olemiss.edu/on-violence-in-the-south-nonviolent-protest/#:~:text=On%20Violence%20in%20the%20South:%20Nonviolent%20Protest%20As,Southern%20Culture%20volume%20on%20Violence,%20published%20in%202011.

Aydin, Andrew, Lewis, John, and Powell, Nate. March: Book One. Top Shelf Productions, 2013.

Fisher, Max. “Peaceful Protest Is Much More Effective than Violence for Toppling Dictators.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 29 Apr. 2019, www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/11/05/peaceful-protest-is-much-more-effective-than-violence-in-toppling-dictators/.

“Nonviolent Philosophy and Self Defense  :  Articles and Essays  :  Civil Rights History Project  :  Digital Collections  :  Library of Congress.” The Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/collections/civil-rights-history-project/articles-and-essays/nonviolent-philosophy-and-self-defense/#:~:text=Nonviolent%20Philosophy%20and%20Self%20Defense%20The%20success%20of,activists%20who%20adopted%20the%20strategy%20of%20nonviolent%20protest.

19 thoughts on “Week 4: The Importance and Significance of the Discipline of Nonviolence to Achieve a Positive Result

1. I really enjoyed this article and the graphs that were included (an interesting and unique way to measure things in this scenario). Further, I agree with the non-violent approach in protesting for civil rights. As Martin Luther King said himself in a quote, “We can not drive out hate, with more hate . . . ” We see how important peaceful protesting and freedom of speech are prevalent in other areas of life as well. One I can think of is just this whole crazy election. Especially in the media, it just seemed like there was so much hate and immorality in people slamming each other and in some cases violent acts. When people were respectful and also peaceful it seemed like so much more was accomplished.
    -Karter Tow

2. This was a great read and overall extremely interesting to think about especially in the US right now living through the BLM movement. I believe the perception of what a protest is about can get lost within media when you give an excuse to them on why it is bad. This occurs when protest go violent instead of talking about why they are there it turns into look at how terrible this is. We saw this over the summer with BLM. During the day coverage of the protests typically was talking about police brutality and mass incarceration of colored people in the US but one night fall hit and extremest groups came in the picture the scenes turned violent. By doing this the night time coverage of it was rather vulgar to watch knowing the message was worth while but almost threw away all good peaceful protest from earlier in the day. As stated in your post history clearly shows that in order for real change to happen like MLK’s civil rights movement protests must be peaceful for the public eye to hear your message rather than associate the group with violence.

3. I wonder why there aren’t strong leaders today like John Lewis or Martin Luther King Jr. who are advocating peaceful protests, especially during the BLM going. Although the majority of the protestors were peacefully protesting, there were still many protesting with anger and agony ending up destroying some local businesses and hurting each other. I liked this context presentation, because it really puts an emphasis on how much more successful peaceful protests turn out to be rather than violent protests. A peaceful protest will get the public to handle situations easier and to understand more clearer of the message they are trying to make when fighting for peace and equality.

4. I really enjoyed reading your post and how informational it was while reading, the main point of your post was well written and really got the point of how non-violent protests are more efficient in many situations. You see that violent protest typically end in harming others or buildings, while peaceful protest get the point across and have a lot more meaning to them. I also found it informational when you included how the principles of nonviolence were utilized and taught by leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and Congressman John Lewis. I believe that if we had one of those leaders in 2020 while protesting was taking places, things wouldn’t have gotten to a point of “rioting” and would have stay a peaceful protest.

5. The graph at the beginning of this post said a lot even before the I started reading. It point blank shows how much more effective non violence is over a violence approach. People are more willing to listen and pay attention to what you have to say when you are doing it in a calm and effective manor. Once violence is added people only focus on that and now the original reason for the protest. The violence clouds the image of the entire movement or protest.

6. I think there have been many comparisons of nonviolent vs violent resistance in history, including recent history. For example, Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X. MLK made his change by peaceful protests and resistances, wanted people to stay peaceful and nonviolent because he knew that if they went violent his message would be disregarded and the opposition would be given a reason to get violent in return. Malcolm X was known for choosing some of the more “violent” methods. Over the summer with the BLM protests and events there were the overwhelming majority of events that were peaceful and nonviolent and made a good representation of the movement, but there was also a small group of people who ruined the image of the movement by turning to some of the more violent resistance methods and in turn ruined the message the movement was trying to send. There always seem to be the two sides of movements, but I think the only reason there is the two sides, even when we know nonviolent is statistically more successful as you said, people believe that violence gets the attention and will spark a bigger change.

7. I really enjoyed your explanation of the significance of non-violence as a means of protesting, how this is a deep-rooted element in American history, and how it is statistically a more effective method of protesting than turning to violence. As an engineering student and someone who appreciates the application of numbers and data to a particular argument, I found it very telling and interesting just how effective non-violent protesting is, as depicted in the graph that was provided. Even more significant to me, however, was how uneffective violent protest appears to be in the chart and how it is depicted as being a failure more than non-violent protesting is a success. I also just wanted to comment on how non-violent protesting and civil disobedince was tied in to the the history of the United States. I thought that this was a really interesting way to start and really puts the entire Civil Rights movement into perspective when looked at as a movement on the timeline of American history. The very founding of the United States stemmed from protesting against civil liberties and tyranny and it is amazing to me how blind those who stand and have stood in the way of civil rights are to these parallels and the virtues of the movement.

8. I feel that your post was very descriptive and informative. The graph at the beginning of your post really let me know what the difference was between nonviolent and violent protests in terms of success in making a change before I even started reading your post. Then afterwards, explaining the difference in words and elaborating as to why the graph and statistics are so much in favor of nonviolent protests help show the reasoning as to why nonviolent protests work much more than when violence becomes involved. Being peaceful and using your voices rather than violent action shows other people that you are just trying to make a change for the greater good of everyone. Overall, I think your post was very informative, and the use of visual aspects like the graph was a very good touch.

9. I am really glad this is being talked about right now! 2020 and beginning of 2021 seemed to be more violent than what I have experienced in my life so far. It is unfortunate that those groups chose violence because they felt peaceful protest won’t be heard. Sadly, it just gave a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouth for the extremist groups. I think it is important to learn about this so we can pass it down to the next generation who will eventually be in power. As it has showed in history, violence is not the answer and never will be.
    I liked when you brought up the point about the different peaceful protesters. We will always remember their names, but not those who were violent!

• Thank you everyone for the lovely comments on my presentation! If anyone would like a question to answer, could you compare the nonviolent protests of the past to the violent ones we see more often today? What is the difference in the effect and what can we do, as the younger generation, to change the tide back in favor of history? Are there times that violent protests are necessary and/or effective? The graph I presented showed that violent protests are not as successful as nonviolent protests, but they have been successful at times. Do you have an explanation or example?

10. I think it was very wise to include modern data showing that uprisings are more likely to fail if they become violent. This adds more credibility to the Nonviolence Philosophy in practice. A lot of philosophies sound good in theory but it is satisfying to know that this philosophy actually works in achieving a goal in the real world.

11. The content of this presentation is great. I love how you used the motives of the founding fathers and the creation of the Constitution many hold so dearly and tied them to the Civil Rights Movement. I think this is very important to point out because, in the present day racism I’ve seen, the people it comes from, supposedly but not effectively, hold the Constitution to the “highest standard” in other views. Tying the civil rights movement exposes the hypocrisy of these people using their own “beliefs” against them.

12. I really enjoyed reading your post! As someone who is very interested in Constitutional Law, I loved the nod you gave to the Constitutional Amendment made to protect these non-violent protests. In addition to the freedoms of speech and peaceful assembly, the First Amendment also protects the right of the people to freedom of the press and the freedom to petition the government for any grievances, both of which were utilized to great affect throughout the Civil Rights movement. With regional newspapers taking up arms against local and national governmental policies as well as people of color and whites alike petitioning lawmakers to create a more equal America, many officials were pressured into giving in or compromising.

13. This was a great illustration of the importance regarding peaceful protests and the positive outcomes they can produce. Violence has historically brought about hatred, increased polarization, and discomfort between disagreeing parties. I really liked how you included examples of other leaders who brought about change in a peaceful way. It sheds light on the value and respect that is produced by firm and level arguments, rather than inciting violence and harm. This ties into how you spoke about morality and its relationship to peaceful action. Systemic injustices cannot be ignored. I think that by continuing similar approaches of MLK and John Lewis, we can continue to strive to demolish these injustices.

14. Hi,

This was a great presentation of the material we read this week. I loved that you set civil rights protests in the time of MLK, as well as more recent protests, all against a bigger back drop of the foundation of the United States. I think the mainstream media often misconstrues the intent of protests as hatred, when in reality just people protest because they love our country so much they cannot bear to see ruined by racism. By placing these protests in a larger context, I think it is easier to see protests in a more positive lighting instead of automatically assuming the worst. Further, I think it’s important to remember Dr. King’s letter that points out that it is more important to understand the underlying causes of a protest then bash the protest itself.

15. I really enjoy this presentation about non-violence. Violence may lead to extreme hatred, lifelong consequences and death. The perfect example would be the BLM movement, violent protesters has lead this movement into a fight. The protesters are getting more and more violent which made this movement very terrible, it has seriously harmed innocent people. We should not see this kind of movement with consequences. It is like what you said, non-violence lead to success since they are well organized, respectful and polite. It is important for us to demolish injustice by a proper and non-violence way like MLK and John Lewis.

16. I really enjoyed reading this presentation because of everything you added to it. The graphs were really helpful to give a real visual of how exactly non violent v. violent protests plays against each other. I also liked how you brought about the Constitution and the freedom of speech because I feel like that really describes what kind of topic you are going into, the freedom of speech clause really does only talk about the freedom of speech and not really our freedoms of action. Our strongest weapon we have is our voice in these kinds of situations. In my opinion peaceful non violent protests work better than ones that do turn violent, hateful and destructive. Take in our time today for an example. A couple of months ago there were a lot of protests going on around the world after George Floyd was killed by a police officer. The Black Lives Matter protests were very powerful in some states, but in others, people who were not actually there for the protests ruined what the protest was actually about. A lot of businesses were getting destroyed and robbed, and when these things started to happen the police were involved. The police shot rubber bullets, tear gas and were beating civilians (most of the time the wrong civilians) because of the destructive manner of others. This violence and destruction turned a very important protest into something bad, and a lot of people look at it as people of color doing something bad and that is not what happened.

17. I really enjoyed reading this presentation! I really enjoyed why you explained that a nonviolent approach to social change worked more than violent ones. Prioritizing human rights, humanity, and kindness was a really great aspect to bring into the conversation. I think that the graphics also really made in an impact on really explaining why the nonviolent approach was more effective than the violent approach. I really like how you included a list of influential people that have made an incredible impact with many different social injustices. Especially the example of John Lewis and a group of supporters really gives an insight to how prepared and respectful they were on executing a movement for social injustice. It really was a great addition as well including the rights that our Founding Fathers set out for America and utilizing the freedom of speech to help create social change. I think that you made a very compelling argument about the nonviolent approach and how people have began the journey of social change that our generation is trying to continue in the same nonviolent manners.

18. I enjoyed reading your presentation. I think it is important to appreciate your emphaisis on non-violent approach to get things done rather than supporting violence. The graphics included with your presentation provide modern data and supply evidence to support the claims and arguments made in the presentation. I agree with your stance on this issuse to support and create reform in legislation to use peaceful actions to get our voices heard rather than use violence. Using violence is not right way to promote change as it sets a bad precedent for the future and will also cause a huge property damage and keeps the lives of many in danger. I agree that we should support peaceful protests to support reform and progress in our society as great leaders once did. For example John Lewis, Mahatma Gandi and Dr. King who followed civil disobedience and supported to fulfil their goals using peace rather than cause violence. Great job on the presentaion!!!