Colonization in African Culture, Things Fall Apart Context Presentation

There comes a time when trying to help someone, and hopefully, change their ways for the better, actually hurts more than helps. Achebe tells this story in the novel, Things Fall Apart. We meet an individual, Okonkwo, who is proud of his clan and their many rituals and traditions they have in the town of Umuofia. All of this is gone in an instant though when European colonizers pressure the people of Umuofia to adopt their ways. In doing so, their traditions have nearly vanished, and the love for rituals and celebration no longer drives the people of Umuofia. This story exemplifies the destructive effects of both colonization and reconstruction of an already well-functioning society to change into something they’re not, and in doing so, traditions, culture, and unique lifestyles are lost. 

The United States has recently decided to reduce aid in Africa. While this may seem like a bad thing, many in Africa actually think that it will be a time where their country can learn to flourish and grow on its own, and bring back some of the cultural values they once had (Kwemo, pg. 4).  When Americans go over to Africa and try to enact change by educating and creating new churches, they fail to recognize the already standing norms and cultures that Africa has. 

Another way that Americans have also delved too deep into another culture is through adoption. Adoption is amazing in itself because a child can be provided a loving and safe home, but when there’s adoption between two different cultures, the traditions, and heritage of that individual are swept away (Coolman pg. 1). 

While American Missionaries have a passionate goal to help struggling countries, very few missionaries go into the development of their churches and schools with an open mind, which in turn hurts the culture of that country. John Donnelly, suggests that there should be coordination and partnership between Americans and countries in Africa to see what help is most effective. Donnelly also states that “if you’re going to a foreign country, you have to learn from local people what is best.” (Donnelly). 

It’s essential to recognize that differences in cultures are good, and other cultures shouldn’t impose their values and norms on others unless they genuinely think it’s best for that society. If the change occurs, it should be done out of harmony and knowledge of a culture. 

Worked Cited

Achebe, Chinua. Things Fall Apart. New York: Anchor, 1994. Alcorn, Marshall.

Coolman, Holly T. “White parents adopting Black kids raises hard questions. We can learn from them.” America, The Jesuit Review, 8 July 2020,

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2020/07/08/white-parents-Black-kids-transracial-adoption

Kwemo, Angelle B. “Making Africa great again: reducing aid dependency.” Brookings, Brookings, 20 April 2017, www.brookings.edu/blog/africa-in-focus/2017/04/20/making-africa-great-again-reducing-aid-dependency/. 

Martin, Michel. “Missionaries in Africa doing more harm than good?” NPR, Faith Matters, 20 July 2012,

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/20/157105485/missionaries-in-africa-doing-more-harm-than-good

16 thoughts on “Colonization in African Culture, Things Fall Apart Context Presentation

1. I personally had never read these types of opinions about aid to Africa and the effects our actions can have on their culture. Usually in America, Africa is viewed as “less than” us because of the major differences between their way of life and ours. While I do think there are plenty of things that we do have “better” than some parts of Africa, such as access to clean water consistently, things like starting churches really does start to erase a lot of their own culture with ours now that I think about it.

2. This is a very interesting take on such a subject as I have not often heard of this type of perspective! I think that this is a great point and a great connection to the novel. Overall, I do share the same opinion that each country should really only be concerned about itself. However, I do believe that there are certain instances where one country should step in and deconstruct the culture of another country and that is ONLY when human rights are involved. Otherwise each country should only be concerned with themselves as most countries have enough of their own problems to take care of.

3. Hi!
    I found your post very interesting. I never thought about how American’s do try to impose on African culture. This is a common theme though, that when one person thinks and acts one way, they want everyone else to be the same. But in reality, differences are good and we should embrace them not try to morphe them into our own. I hope too in the future that there is a way we can offer help to other countries all while learning from them.

4. In recent days, I have read lots of news of Cambodian politics. Cambodia used to be taken as one of the colonial areas of Great Britain and it used to be one of the richest countries in Asia. Without the second world war, it is possible that it is still the wealthiest country in Asia. However, after it finished the history of being colonized, the country was ruled by the military for more than 50 years and it was falling down quickly. The country has been one of the poorest countries in Asia. I used to visit Cambodia with my friends and the country is really poor. I have encountered a boy who chased me behind for money. I felt sorry for what happened and wondered if colonization was really so bad for the colonized areas or not. For Cambodians who were used to be colonized, they enjoyed a period of happy time with good policies and systems. It is true that being colonized does not sound good, but as long as people felt happy, I thought it was the most important thing. Otherwise, if they were ruled by the military that only considers the benefits of themselves, it seems that people fall into the other kinds of colonization.

5. I really appreciated this post! It does a great job of explaining why implementing foreign control in another country can often have unforeseen consequences. I have noticed that American tries to force it’s influence on some part of every continent. I think it’s good that the African countries will have more independence and be able to produce better foundations for their respective cultures.

6. Hi! I found your post very interesting! You did a nice job of introducing the material and ideas that will be covered throughout the week. It was interesting to read your take on where and when Americans have delved too deep into another culture. I have never thought of this idea through that perspective so it was interesting to read about where you get that idea from. Great post!

7. While reading I feel like this post is really important to understand and value in society. The reason why I say that would be that even though we try our best as a community to help those in need and to never be selfish, this would create when we do help a replaced norms and value in the positions of what is already there. An example is what you said in your post, “When Americans go over to Africa and try to enact change by educating and creating new churches, they fail to recognize the already standing norms and cultures that Africa has.” (post). This would represent a cause and effect play and represent an of it would lead to the loss of the people’s independence and their ancestral time and create a struggle of them growing again. Through this, it should create a realization what even though the actions that we do is good and is temporary we don’t fully realize and affect the aftermath of the cause.

8. Your post is a great way to introduce people to the impact of colonization on other regions, countries, and even continents. I have always found it very interesting to observe the outcomes of colonization through an academic lense. We can trace certain foods, customs, and even langauges to different points in time. For instance, we can look at the growth and use of corn and where it originated. Corn is now found in many different cuisines, however, it is native to the Americas (the region of modern day Mexcio to be exact). It found its way into North America and was used by many native peoples. Once colonization of the Americas began, the cultivation and spread of corn became widespread. Although, one cannot talk about the discovery of corn by the British without touching on the tragedies that came along with the colonization of the modern day US.

9. Great job on making such a difficult concept be much more understood. I love the way you simplified it but yet it hits the core of the concept. I agree with your statement and want to add that sometimes what others think is better for someone or something is not necessarily true when looked at from the side being impacted. We see this in many aspects of our lives, for example sometimes people really want someone to go through a medical treatment because it will “make them better” but when someone who has lived their life to the fullest refuses it its because they would rathe not get sicker with the treatments and instead enjoy the time they have left to the fullest.

10. Great job with your context research presentation. You make a great point. It is so important that when a country with their own traditions and norms, helps another country with different traditions and norms, pays attention to the way they live their life so that they do not disrupt the way they choose to live. It is amazing that America has the ability to help out with Africa in the ways you listed, but like you said very critical that they observe their ways of live in order to not disrupt it.

11. When reading your context presentation it reminded me of an episode of South Park that joked about missionaries in 3rd world countries. Particularly, how the religious missionaries’ main goal is to teach the bible to countries in need of food such as Ethiopia. This episode was Season 3 Episode 13 and called Starvin Marvin in Space. In this episode, Starvin Marvin from Ethiopia finds a spaceship and a planet that is willing to accept the Ethiopians as well as provide food and shelter. Before discovering the ship, you are shown that the religious missionary leader in Ethiopia trying to teach the bible to a group of Ethiopians, and she has to tell the class not to eat the books as they start to try and take a bite into them. While this is happening, the religious missionaries begin to learn of this new planet and try their best to stop the Ethiopians from migrating there. Their first instinct is to try and stop the spaceship in an effort to visit the planet first and give their teachings of the bible on the new planet. The main point I got across while watching the episode was that missionaries tend to have a self-interest in spreading their religion more than working with the country to help fix the main issue they have in the country itself. Their hearts may be in the right place but the execution of the help they provide tends to do more harm than good in the end.

12. Hi! I enjoyed your context presentation on Things Fall Apart. I was surprised to find out the that the United States is reducing aid in Africa. This sounds like a bad thing, but allowing countries to develop on their own, is the best for the countries. It was also interesting to find out about the disadvantages of adopting a child from Africa, and removing them from their culture and heritage.

13. Hello! This is a very insightful view that will help me make connections within my reading this week. It is upsetting to hear that in the midst of trying to help a group of people, there are many that try to hide the cultures prominent in the area. I think it is an interesting topic to think about since the United States prides itself on having a “salad bowl” model of cultures. In this model, differences in cultures are valued, but within things like aid, adoption, and missionary intervention between the United States and Africa, this model can turn into more of a “melting pot” model where the two cultures are forced to combine. This does not allow each culture to shine on their own and may even lead to one oveshadowing the other. Great presentation!

14. Hi, great presentation. I wasn’t aware that the United States recently reduced aid in Africa. I thought it was important though for you to point out that even though it sounds bad it actually isn’t. Colonization leaves its mark and even when it has stopped it effects the way the colonized society functions, and not necessarily in a good way. It forces the original culture to change and to lose its old ways that were important to the community. I think this will be a time to watch how Africa can flourish more on its own. It will show what they are truly capable of without an American hand forcing them/ leading.

15. Hello!
    I think you did an amazing job in summarising and presenting the most crucial segments from Achebe’s novel. One thing that I agree with you on is the simple yet powerful phrase you ended your presentation with– “If the change occurs, it should be done out of harmony and knowledge of a culture.”
    Extending a helping hand is never seen as a threat or a negative thing. At any point, if it does, it is a cue to step back and understand that they do not need your help. I stan that if the US helped Africa with harmony and with sufficient knowledge of their culture, Africa wouldn’t be where they are today. They would’ve been heavily self-sufficient and rich in their own literature.

16. Thank you for such a good presentation! It is really insightful to think about how our aid in other countries, especially in Africa, can end up hurting more than it helps. I don’t think it is a bad thing to offer and provide aid, but if we do it as if the country receiving aid is “less than”, it can be a burden on the country in the long term. Aid can function as a roundabout method of colonization and imperialism if it is thought of like this. It will be interesting to see how African nations are impacted by the lowered aid going forward.