Diary Showcase (Elon Musk and World Hunger)

Dear Diary, 

This week, Elon Musk tweeted how if he were to give 6 billion dollars of sold Tesla stock to the UN he could fix the matter of world hunger. I felt like world hunger was a very important topic to me as it affects so many people on a daily basis worldwide. When I saw what Elon had tweeted, it made me extremely excited as it is such a recurring injustice. After seeing it, I began to pick the topic apart and discover there truly is no way to solve world hunger. Six billion dollars would for sure help for a couple weeks if not months helping people with food struggles, but eventually this money would run out and if it is not replenished, world hunger would continue to thrive. No amount of money could truly solve world hunger as it is a never ending. The main thing many countries need to do is work with their governments to establish a stable system in which to then go about solving world hunger. As many as 811 million people still go hungry as they do not have the funds or means to produce food. This 6 billion dollars could allow some families to have a couple nights of not worrying what they are going to have for dinner, but after supplies and money run out, we will go back to our previous starving state. Many people also replied back to Elon, mentioning it could not end hunger for everyone, but could save 42 million people from starvation. Beasley, the U.N’s food and chief, ““We need the help of billionaires who have made so much money during COVID – unprecedented wealth – this is a one-time task. Please help us. Please help us save little girls and little boys.” If many of the world’s billionaires came together and contributed money as Elon Musk said he might, the solution for world hunger may be closer to getting solved or may allow people to have a stable source of food for a bit longer.I personally never have had a food insecurity so it is hard to completely understand and take in what these people go through on a daily basis, but I understand it enough that if many people come together and help, we can at least change these people’s lives in the present for the better.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-beasley-elon-musk-world-food-programme-plea-to-billionaires/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/01/elon-musk-tells-un-food-chief-hell-spend-6-billion-to-fight-hunger.html

One thought on “Diary Showcase (Elon Musk and World Hunger)

1. I really loved your diary systemic injustice topic. I also saw Elon Musk’s tweet and began to do some more digging into world hunger. I think the point you made that this 6 billion of making an impact, but nothing significant that would last. I think it is very thoughtful of Elon Musk to do this, but agree we should see more push from governments and other world leaders to help make a change. I do agree with Musk stating this may get us a step closer to getting world hunger solved for further addressed for ways to improve world hunger.