Context Presentation on Aijaz Ahmad’s “Jameson’s Rhetoric of Otherness and the “National Allegory”.

In 1986 Fredric Jameson was one of the most famous American Marxist writers. In his essay published by the text Social Journal , “Third World Literature in the Era of Multinational Capitalism”, he became criticized for his work for years to come. Jameson speaks upon the “Three Worlds Theory” and how all texts that come from the Third World would function as the national allegory, therefore all groups from other world countries have the same cultural logic of the third world (Robert  Tally JR). 

Aijaz Ahmad argues that Jameson defines the “Third World” in terms of colonialism and nationalism. The problem here is that the so-called third world is defined in “experience” while the First and Second worlds are defined by their production systems (Ahmad, 78). This quote stood out to me, ” …this classification divides the world between those who make history and those who are mere objects of it”(Ahmad, 78). Ahmad is arguing that Jameson as a Marxist wasn’t rigorous enough in his argument around Marxism playing any role within the Three Worlds theory. Instead it is contradictory because Jameson as an American white male is talking about how to overcome capitalistic views. A single story coming from all third world texts can help overcome the ongoing battle. 

The battle against capitalism is still present in this world and we still use ideas from the Three Worlds Theory. I’m going to relate this to the ongoing wage crisis in America. We are seen as the best country with many opportunities but this vision of America is read through the lenses of single stories from many third world texts. Immigrants come from all over the world to find better paying jobs in America but really we struggle with minimum wages. In a study done by  OECD it is found that, “Immigrants perform relatively better than native-born workers on the labour market, but their working conditions are often poorer” (OECD,27). These people come here in hopes for a better life but get paid less to do specialized work for companies who profit so much off their small wages. This goes back to Jamesons theory of First world countries being the ones making history while the people who actually make the history are the workers from other world countries. We need to consider that these immigrants are the ones supplying us the ability to be a First World country considering that, “40 percent of the immigrant workforce that is employed in low skilled occupations” (Camarota,37). Without these workers working out lower skilled factory jobs we wouldn’t be able to survive as a First World country.

Sources:

OECD/International Labour Organization (2018), “Immigrants’ contribution to developing countries’ economies: Overview and policy recommendations”, in How Immigrants Contribute to Developing Countries’ Economies, International Labour Organization, Geneva/OECD Publishing, Paris.

Steven A. Camarotaon January. “The Wages of Immigration.” CIS.org, 1 Jan. 1998, cis.org/Report/Wages-Immigration.

Talley , Robert T. “Fredric Jameson and the Controversy Over ‘Third-World Literature in the Era of Multinational Capitalism.’” Global South Studies, U.Va., globalsouthstudies.as.virginia.edu/key-thinkers/fredric-jameson-and-controversy-over-%E2%80%9Cthird-world-literature-era-multinational.

30 thoughts on “Context Presentation on Aijaz Ahmad’s “Jameson’s Rhetoric of Otherness and the “National Allegory”.

1. Wow, this piece was very eye opening and is so true. Connecting capitalism here in the United States to the reading was a great way to relate the two. I have never thought of immigrants who come from third world countries making our first world country what it is today but, it is so true. Without the hard workers that we do have from these countries, America unfortunately would not be able to use them for their talents and pay them so little, allowing them to thrive as a first world country. While many immigrants come to America to be paid a larger salary, in reality they are getting used for the talent and hard work they bring to the table.

2. It’s really crazy to believe how much the immigrants from the third world countries have basically carried us native-born citizens of a first world country. The immigrants are taking the lower quality jobs so we don’t have to, and without them taking those jobs ,we wouldn’t even be a stable country as you said. I wonder if these role dynamics will ever change in the future, such as that immigrants getting the higher quality jobs or us replacing them in the lower quality jobs. Overall, this is a very interesting take from your interpretation of the reading.

3. I love the way that you related the wage crisis in America to Aijaz Ahmad’s argument. It is very true that the way we treat immigrants so poorly is disturbing, especially because of everything they have done to shape our society. Large companies use immigrants for cheap labor and become rich off of them meanwhile, immigrants live paycheck to paycheck not getting what they deserve. Jameson’s theory on first-world countries truly shows how skewed the view of life in America for “everyone” is to other countries. The quote you mentioned about how first and second worlds are defined by their production systems stood out to me because once you think about that its is very true. People see countries like the United States or China and place them on top of the world because of what they produce.

4. I really like the comparison that you made with Aijaz Ahmad and the ongoing wage crisis in America. I also believe that we as a country should be considering the fact that the immigrants that you mention are allowing us as a country to be this “first world country” that everyone sees us as. I really like how you brought in the study from the International Labour Organization about the immigrants generally perform more efficiently than native-born labor workers but they work in much different working conditions. I am curious to see if in the future the immigrants that are being used for their hard-working abilities will begin to be put taken out of the “low skilled occupations” as you mentioned, and be put into higher-skilled ones. I really liked your take on this!

5. I really liked how you pointed out how even though these two individuals are a part of the same group, their cultural perspectives shape where they stand on certain topics. Jameson couldn’t look past the single story of Third World countries, which led him to add on to the single story himself. Which is why I think that it was great how you brought up current capitalist issues as it shows that these problems are not ones that have been solved yet. People still look down on those who are consider from a Third World country and think that they lack the ability to make any strides without the help from First or Second World countries. I wonder if the world will ever stop dividing itself or if it is forever doomed to be stuck in this cycle.

6. I really enjoyed how you connected your thoughts to the single story in that people believe America will give them a better life, without thinking of the hard work for little pay. When you mention credit within history, I think that has to do a lot with money and power. Take companies like Tesla and Amazon, Musk and Bezos don’t do the day to day but it’s them who gets credit based on social status (from money and power). I don’t think this will ever change, but the day to day workers who make all this happen need to get the credit they deserve, like pay raises and better work quality.

7. I also think that there is a disparity in the way first, second, and third world countries are valued. The point that first world countries are valued for their experience and 2nd and 3rd world countries are valued for their production really resonated with me. Living my whole life in the United States, for most of my life I had assumed we were the most prosperous and happiest country in the world. I was shocked to find out that countries that are much worse off economically have much greater rates of happiness than the U.S. I believe external factors such as these should be taken into consideration when evaluating a country’s worth. Only basing a country’s reputation on its economic output is harmful for humanity as a whole.

8. I really liked the connection you made between capitalism and the USA. I did not realize that immigrants who come here find better paying jobs than people born here but work in bad conditions. It is unfortunate that hard-working immigrants have worse working conditions than other citizens. It is true that without immigrants, we would not have built the society and economy we have today. Immigrants are the backbone for developing the USA’s economy. I think the average person takes for granted the privilege we have from being born and raises in a First World Country.

9. I think this is a very interesting take on the three worlds concept, especially because the idea originated from someone born in America. The idea that powerful nations such as the United States would not be where it is today without the countless immigrants from all over the world that have made our innovations possible. Part of Jameson’s theory states that though the ideals of the first world is encompassed by capitalism, his views on a marxist society are a lot stronger because capitalism does not always work especially for those working in lower classes, specifically people immigrating from third world countries.

10. It’s actually quite remarkable how much immigrants have contributed to the success of first world countries. I think often times people forget that without immigrants doing the hard labor that their own country’s citizens are unwilling to do, these countries would not be nearly as successful and have major issues on their hands. Here in America, companies know that they can get away with under paying immigrants and it’s sad that they are taken advantage of especially when many of them immigrated here for a better life and better jobs.

11. I think for countless immigrants and those subject to third world “othering” being afforded opportunities in “first world” countries is a near god-send. The US has always been a nation of immigrants and of those willing to start over. Many immigrate for an opportunity and to escape an array of conditions. To refer to unskilled working conditions in regards to minimum wage seems to be a sort of single-story fallacy. It seems incredibly cursory to disregard these peoples backgrounds when mentioning they work in low-skilled jobs. Painting these people with the same brush is the kind of allegory Ahmad was speaking against.

12. This is a very interesting connection you made between the United States and capitalism and I liked this connection a lot. I never knew that 40 percent of the immigrant workforce that is employed is low skilled occupations. This seems to be a very high percentage of immigrants working in low skilled occupations. I was unaware of these statistics of immigrants that come to the United States to find better paying jobs but endup working in worse conditions. Personally, it seems the backbone of our thriving economy comes from these low skilled occupations that immigrants are mostly occupying. I feel most people forget how important these low skilled occupations are to our economy and prosperity. After reading your argument, it seems very evident that the United States would not be surviving as a First World Country without these immigrants.

13. I really found this topic interesting because of how much it can still be seen today in the sharp differences from third world countries and second and first world countries. The first thing that came to mind was COVID, particularly in regards to the vaccine. I feel that it was all first world countries with their technologies and resources that both discovered the virus, performed research on it., and have had the most impact now with the vaccine. Meanwhile, many third world countries have been dragged along in this pandemic and are struggling to even get some doses of the vaccine. This really shows how they are just part of this period in history, as Ahmad said.

14. The term of “Three world countries” is inaccurate and old. This term is basically refers to countries that are at a low stage of economic development. Over the last 15 to 20 years, most of the economically disadvantaged countries have experienced significant economic growth, although these countries will continue to be called three world countries. It’s true that the countries we call first world countries like United States, Canada, New Zealand are countries with huge development , but have you ever think that these countries at some point they will need the support of the three world countries ? For example most of the “three world countries” are respecting and taking care for the environment so they have many sources of natural materials and first world countries have the need of these sources.

15. I found it very interesting that you related third-world countries to a single story. I truly believe describing a country as being “third world” completely underestimates the country’s standing in the government, economy, and type of people. I love the connection you had with the immigrants giving the power to a country to make it a first world country. I never thought about it that way and the jobs we take for granted in the economy may be some of the most important ones there are. Jameson could not look past third-world countries and ultimately created a single story for himself. I am curious about what you think would have been different if the terms “third world” had never existed… would individuals still have created stories about poorer places and would the qualifications of “not number one” would be the same?

16. The piece does a really job of summarizing the argument raised by Ahmed on Jameson’s theory and puts the entire argument is current perspective. The three world theory is quite dated and that is highlighted more in the fact how the three world theory was defined. The first two worlds being defined by their production and capacities while the third world being defined by their experience does not do justice the current situation of respective groups. I like how you used the example of wage crisis as it sums up the shift of American economy from being a manufacturing one to a service economy where a huge portion of the population live on paycheck to paycheck, which compared to other ‘third world’ nations which are now defined by their economic prowess and potential simply does not fit the antique categorization of the three world theory. That is not to say that there are not integral differences present due to the colonial history of those countries, however, the part that history plays in where the countries stand today is only significant is how that country has developed.

17. It is rather eye opening to consider that America as a country was really built off of immigrant labor for centuries. For hundreds of years it was slave labor that carried the agricultural economy of half of the US. Now in modern times, immigrants work the jobs that us Americans consider to be “less desirable”. I believe that this sentiment is the reason that immigrant labor in the US is looked so down upon. From a young age kids are taught to aim higher than jobs such as garbage men, cab drivers, factory works, and other immigrant dominated jobs. However, these are the jobs that keep America afloat and functioning. This sentiment in America needs to change in order to get immigrant wages and working conditions up to a higher standard. Overall, I think your take on the Three Words Theory is great and I like the connections and parallels your drew.

18. It was pretty mind blowing when you mentioned the part about immigrants being the ones to carry our country into a First World. I never really thought about it in this way, but it makes total sense when its right in front of your eyes. Most immigrants from Third World countries come to the U.S. in search for more opportunities but are stuck with working the low end jobs or in poor conditions. Not only can they not receive decent jobs, immigrants are only being paid minimum wage and working overtime without the added pay. I truly don’t understand how treating someone in this way is okay, especially when they are part of the reason for the success of this country.

19. Your example of immigrant work in America is an excellent way of showing that first, second, and third class worlds are not separate entities but are intricately mixed. The way in which you described the success of first world countries being largely due to the laborious work of lower class individuals and immigrants reminds me of the Hegel master-slave relation. If not for the work of immigrants and lower class workers in often unsafe factories and labor-intensive agriculture jobs, America would not be in the same position as it is today. We should acknowledge that our history has been built on the exploitation of those seen as ‘Other.’ Exploitation still applies to current history, though many do not acknowledge the problems that exist within the labor systems they gain from.

20. Thinking about the foundation of low skilled labor in American being upheld by immigrant workers really blur the line of the operation of first, second, and third world societies. When looking at them as all separate, you can see the differences but that viewpoint hides the nontrivial facts that all of these societies are interlinked in one way or another and one story cannot be told about one without including portions that involve the others. It is important to realize that as like the example with the immigrant workers above, many first worlds are not developed all on their own, an vice versa third worlds are not brought down by just their own vices.

21. You brought up an excellent point of us being able to be a first world country due to those hard unskilled labor positions that are performed largely by immigrants. I am a little confused about what all articles from third world being allegories means. I would like to know more about how the three world theory is used to combat capitalism today and who is combating it.

22. I think the example of the wage crisis made it easier to understand the topic at hand. When looking at other countries with a livable minimum age you see the desire people have to work. I think it is interesting to look at how much the first world countries depend on the existence of third world countries. The situation in America would be much different if immigrants did not want to leave their countries and come here. I think it forms a cycle to keep America as it is now. I also think it is important to note, similar to Ahmad’s point, that saying a country as a whole can be too broad since places vary within a single country.

23. I second your connection between the high expectations America is perceived to have and the reality of our living standards. The way the world views America is heavily glorified to the point that even our own citizens are blinded by the hardships much of the working class and other marginalized groups endure. To your point, I believe this extends to our healthcare system. We are often regarded as to having superior healthcare – whether that be our research capabilities and scientific breakthroughs – but many Americans do not have access to these benefits, unable afford them, or pay additional costs even with insurance. Additionally, the science behind these studies tend to be disregarded by those who have conservative values and a substantial amount of power/say; making it even more difficult for vulnerable and oppressed groups to be considered in the data of these findings and supported in the implementation.

24. I really enjoyed your comparison between Aijiz Jameson’s thoughts on rhetoric to the current wage crisis and to how immigrants are treated in the workforce in the US. It’s jarring to think about how the US was considered a “melting pot” of cultures, but has always taken a hostile stance towards many foreign nations. Without the same people our former president called “rapists” or the people fleeing their country after failed imperialism, the US would not function nearly as productively as it does today.

25. Very nice work and love the connection Ahmad’s argument of the third world in your presentation. It’s truly astonishing to see how much of a harder worker immigrants are coming to the United States. I myself can relate because my parents immigrated to the United States back in the 90s and really worked countless hours to survive. They’ve told me many stories about the sleepless nights just to bring food to the home. They immigrated from Somalia during a civil war so they much rather work day and night instead of worrying about getting killed. It is still frustrating how low paying jobs they had but it still benefited the country. Present day, my father got a good paying job while my mom now stays at home with my younger siblings. These stories inspire me and further proved how hard of a worker immigrants are.

26. I agree that third-world immigrants have essentially carried first world native born citizens. From first hard experience as being a third-world immigrant, the hard work we had to do to get to where we are now was not easy. From coming to America without anything to learning a new language and supporting your family. I have heard so many stories from my parents how they worked multiple jobs, went to college and went to learn English all at once and that is definitely something that I could never do all at once. My parents came from nothing and gave me everything and I will forever be grateful for that.

27. The battle of capitalism is definitely still present today. Countries are still being oppressed and colonized for their resources and stripped away of their economic and social structure . There are many people moving to the United States for opportunity for a better life such as stable living and better paying jobs. I totally agree with this statement of yours “These people come here in hopes for a better life but get paid less to do specialized work for companies who profit so much off their small wages” America tends use immigrants for their work ethic skills and exploit them for their earnings. That interesting fact that you found from OECD about immigrants being better workers that actual natives born in the U.S.

28. I find it interesting that there is often debate about immigrants stealing jobs from Americans, which is a central case for denying immigration to the country. Many Americans would not take the blue collar, minimum wage, even less than minimum wage jobs. Immigrants do have a better working mentality because they are coming to the US to make a better life for themselves. I find it interesting your point about the single story. Many probably view coming to America such a blessing just to find out that we don’t pay laborers enough for the effort they put in.

29. It’s such a fantastic fact that this country would be absolutely nowhere had it not been for the mass immigration that took place for decades. This country has been blessed with centuries of big innovations from immigrants and first generation Americans that all credit their success with this country. There needs to be a greater appreciation for those who come to this country seeking a better life and seeking to improve this nation’s history. We never know where the next big innovation will come from. Jameson believed a marxist society is better than a capitalist one due to the simple fact that although it’s possible to have the opportunity to be something big and do something great in this country, it’s a lot more difficult to start when you have nothing. For those immigrating from third world countries, it almost always means starting immediately at a low class.

30. I found it very interesting that there is still debates about immigrants taking away jobs from Americans, and in fact I don’t think that this country would be where it is at this moment without the mass immigration that happened. The connection you made when relating to the third-world countries to just this one story was really interesting to me. I also believe that you shouldn’t describe a country as third world like that because it does underestimate the level at which the country stands at , the people, the government and the economy of the country mainly. Additionally, I liked the connection you also made with the immigrants giving power to the country. Though that may not be 100%, it definitely played a role in helping it out and rising to the top.