Blog Post 3: Concept Mapping

For my concept map, I started off by making the center just my city so it’s more understandable. Then I added the three planning dimensions, Natural Environment, Urban Design and Transportation. I have them each in different colors so it is easier to distinguish between each other. These three planning dimensions are some of the most important things when it comes to a city, and while making the map you see how they all impact each other in their own ways. When making the map, I realized that many of the separate elements for each section also go along with the other dimensions. For example safety, housing, traffic, roads and many more all go within each dimension. Urban design choices impact transportation in ways such as neighborhood safety, traffic, buildings, zoning. Transportation impacts and natural environment in ways such as commuting safety, energy, emissions, energy. The list could go on but it is clear in the concept map.

While I was creating my concept map, i noticed how effectively the Cities: skyline stimulation captures these different interactions. Throughout the stimulation you see all three dimensions actively working together to create a successful running city. Do you have natural environment from trees to green spaces, water working throughout the city and transportation and also urban design all working together. It is clear that without each dimension, they each wouldn’t work as effectively and efficiently. Each dimension works with the other which results in more success for a city.

below is my concept map.