[The Home Page will show a running blog of your recent posts, which are categorized and show on that category’s page. Please delete this post or edit with your own information.]
[ “Year in Review” is where you should reflect on the past year and show how you have evolved as a person and as a student. You may want to focus on your growth in a particular area (as a leader, scholar, researcher, etc.) or you may want to talk about your overall experience over the past year. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]
- Global Awareness: I am looking into study abroad opportunities. I am unsure of where I would go if given the opportunity, but would love to be able to learn from other cultures. I have chosen American Sign Language to fulfill my language requirement. Although this is a language used in America, I have been exposed to the Deaf community and their culture. Many countries around the world have their own sign language. If I could travel to a country that has sign language native to their country, I would be able to compare how the languages are similar and different. I am also looking into general education courses that explore the history and culture of other countries.
- Original Inquiry: I am considering research here at the university. I am very interested in research involving disabilities, such as autism and down syndrome. I am also looking at more involved coursework, that provides me with more opportunities to get involved with research.
- Academic Enrichment: I am very excited for the opportunity for a rigorous curriculum through the honors program at Ohio State. My planned curriculum is science heavy because of my biology major. The biology major will hopefully best prepare me to be accepted into dental school. I chose the biology major because it will provide me with the science curriculum to pass the Dental Admission Test.
- Leadership Development: I was involved in the R-Lead early arrival program, which helped me discover the leadership opportunities I could potentially get involved with. I am planning on getting involved on campus, in clubs, in housing, and in the classroom. I have also been really fascinated with the peer mentor program in the Arts and Sciences College. The peer mentors use their experience as second year students and beyond to help advise first year students. They are a great resource to first year students with questions that would be best answered by other students, rather than administrators and advisors. Leadership is an important quality that I would love to develop more. I want to become a pediatric dentist and have my own office. If this becomes my career, strong leadership values are necessary to keep the office organized and running smoothly.
- Service Engagement: I plan to look into clubs on campus that involve volunteering and service work. I have always been the type of person who enjoys helping those in need, because it makes me appreciate what I have been so blessed to have in my life. I believe everyone deserves to have a happy life. Volunteering my time to give those in need gives me the feeling that I am using my life to do good.
[“Career” is where you can collect information about your experiences and skills that will apply to your future career. Like your resume, this is information that will evolve over time and should be continually updated. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email email@example.com. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]
[Artifacts are the items you consider to be representative of your academic interests and achievements. For each entry, include both an artifact and a detailed annotation. An annotation includes both a description of the artifact and a reflection on why it is important to you, what you learned, and what it means for your next steps. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]
My name is Emily and I am a first year at The Ohio State University. I am from Akron, Ohio, and I am the second oldest of five children. My major is Biology and I am on the Pre-Dental track with the goal of becoming a Pediatric Dentist. My goal is to have my own dental practice that is very accepting and accommodating to all people, no matter differences or disabilities they have. I have always tried to interact with people who have different life circumstances than me, which is why I am currently enrolled in an American Sign Language course at Ohio State.