I wanted to look for jobs that were in the realm of field technician surveying and studying animals out in the field. There weren’t any that fulfilled all of the things that I wanted, but this is one that caught my eye as a good starting job into the world of being a technician in the field.

The job wants the applicant to have a diploma in environmental science and to have computer literacy and some previous experience with research. It does not go into depth about the skills needed to get this job, however, most jobs are extremely competitive which leads me to believe that they want more than just a baseline.

I will first and foremost need to finish my 4 years and get my bachelor’s degree. This itself will not be easy, but I will work hard and try my absolute hardest. I want to get the best GPA I can and receive as many accolades as possible. I will need to study a lot, get involved with groups, receive tutoring, and get guidance from academic advisors and teachers.

Throughout college, I will need to get as much experience doing fieldwork in any capacity. I want to work with animals and study them and get experience cataloging and surveying habitats and different animal. I will probably need to start small and work my way up in a lab setting. I could do this by asking professors if they would need any help and work as an assistant or just intern. After working as an intern for a while, I would try to get an internship or be on a research team at either the OSU Stone Lab or the wetlands lab on campus.

After gaining experience and learning-related skills I want to work at a larger level such as with a state’s parks system or maybe for the national parks system working to survey animals and the environment to ensure proper habitat and population to keep the ecosystem sustainable. For instance, I knew someone who worked for the Montana State Wildlife Department as a field technician. I would love to do something along these lines. Being out in nature and studying wildlife would be my dream.

In addition to these, I would probably need to get more experience with computer programs and especially with the systems they use. I would also need to get better at using Microsoft Excel. I am already proficient with a computer and know a little bit of coding with the JavaScript language. I am sure advancing my skills with that could prove very useful in that line of work as well.