Artifact: Buddy Boxes Service Project

My artifact comes from a volunteer activity that furthered my outlook and understanding on childhood hunger and poverty. This service project was in correlation with the Family Mentor Foundation which is an organization that attempts to meet the unmet needs of children in schools throughout Columbus. The Family Mentor Foundation’s Buddy Box program provides food for 1,500 kids by filling the lunchbox with nutritious and nonperishable food items that make it effortless to prepare and eat meals when not at school. As a result of COVID-19, my fellow volunteers and I were unable to construct the lunch meals in person, however that didn’t stop us from providing some hope in these children’s lives. Instead, we decided to design and create uplifting, appropriate, and colorful cards to put in the lunch boxes as a way to bring some positive light.

In America, 1 in 6 children are unaware of when they will be able to feed themselves next and 5 out of 6 kids rely on free food given from school cafeterias. As a result of these harrowing implications, many students repeat a grade in elementary school, face developmental impairments, and are more likely to experience social and behavioral adversities. Growing up in a predominantly upper class suburb right outside of Columbus, I was often unexposed to the cruel reality of other kids living in conditions more arduous than mine. My lack of wisdom regarding poverty made me take advantage and fail to appreciate my privilege. However, once I became aware of the significance of childhood hunger, I made it my mission to use my privilege and newfound knowledge to take action against it. For this reason, I started my own club in high school, named Kneading for the Needy, where many students from all age groups came together to bake desserts for Columbus inner city schools. I also took initiative in Mount Leadership Scholars Society to participate in poverty based service projects, which is why I joined the Buddy Box volunteer event (pictured above).

All in all, childhood hunger is a true actuality and can be lessened with the generous help of others. The Family Mentor Foundation is just one organization that aids in combatting poverty. There are similar establishments all over the world that realize the severity of this problem and attempt to provide in any way they can. In the future, I hope to continue learning about food deprivation and start my own group that fights for these children.