Week 7 Assignment

What item did you select to represent you? Why did you choose this item?

-I selected a little statue that is in my room of a hand gesturing rock on. I don’t know why but I love it and it is one of the favorite decorations in my room. It was a completely unnecessary purchase but for some reason I just had to have it and I really enjoy it. I think it is important because I really like home decor and decorating my spaces to represent me and make me feel relaxed and comfortable.

What was Andy Warhol’s “big idea” – what ideas was he exploring in his artwork? What was he trying to say? Do you think his ideas on popular culture have merit?

-Warhol often showed aspects of ordinary American culture, like the Campbell soup can. This soup can was recognizable to everyone, the rich and the poor. He often showed money and symbols of money because he grew up without it. His works also criticized advertising and its repetitive nature. I think his work did have a lot of merit and it still holds. Objects like Campbells soup and other things like toilet paper are similar among the rich and the poor even though all of the major differences between them.

What relationship does this item have to pop(ular) culture? Will other people connect to this item? Why or why not?

-I think this object relates to pop culture because it goes along with the idea of making things look perfect for others to see. I think a lot on social media like Instagram and Pinterest, people are always trying to set up their life and house to look perfect, cute, and trendy for everyone else to see. This reminds me of birthdays and those gold balloons everyone has to have with the perfect backdrop to make the perfect picture.

Warhol was interested in using machines in artmaking – he automated a great deal of his artmaking. Are you following this tradition as you work with PS? How has your access to this technology changed the way you create images and/or ideas?

-Photoshop has allowed for a lot easier manipulation of photos. I do not edit photos a lot or multiple times at once so I would not say that I necessarily automate the way I work. When I do use Photoshop, I’m usually not doing the same tasks but if I was I would be able to apply edits to multiple files or layers. Photoshop lets us edit pictures a lot faster and try out different effects or edits. It allows for more trial and error because you do not need a lot of time and resources to edit pictures anymore.