Photo Partner Project

kage

As soon as the announcement was made that we would need to create a photo project with a partner for the Arts Scholars, I immediately began dreaming up some elaborate photo shoot with a classmate to find the “perfect” picture to capture our personalities. Funny enough though, as I paired up with Kage Brubaker I discovered that I had the completely wrong idea about the focus of this project. The more we got to know each other over the course of this project (as well as beyond this project) the more I discovered how we cared less about using a fancy camera set up and more about the jokes of wanting to take a picture beside of a garbage can because we were “trash,” or in a tree to symbolize random “freedom.” This process ended up being very simple, which almost reflects our seemingly minimalistic ideals. This specific picture of Kage really sums up his personality in my eyes; he’s making a funny facial expression, wrapped up in a mocking sitting position, and displayed in a neutral background of green. His sarcastic and hilarious nature is openly demonstrated here, but I also feel a certain sense of trust is hidden here as well considering after only knowing me for a month he was extremely willing to look ridiculous in public for a photo. I find irony in the uncomfortable looking pose he struck for me, because in reality Kage is incredibly comfortable here. He is very comfortable with himself; he knows what he wants, knows what he likes. I truly appreciate this project for allowing me to get to know such a kind and interesting person with a golden sense of humor and wit, and I know this is only the beginning of our sarcasm filled friendship.