2017-2018 Year in Review

The start of my second year began a bit differently than expected. My summer internship ended later than the start of the semester. Due to the fact that I did not get back into the country until mid-September, I took a semester of online classes during the Fall. I finished all of my GE classes, and some of my basic business classes. I wasn’t, however, actually physically on campus.

After getting back in the country (literally, the day after I got back to Cleveland), I went to a conference in Washington D.C. for alumni of State Department programs. This was an amazing experience (despite my extreme jet-lag). I got to learn about the issues surrounding anti-human trafficking work, learn about the issue, spend time networking with professionals in this field, as well as learn about efforts being made to help. This really revamped my interest in this issue.

After the conference, I spent time at home, doing my online classes, working part-time, and volunteering as an ESL tutor and volunteering at a local book shop. This book shop was really the highlight of my time back home. Any profits made from this secondhand bookstore immediately went into ESL and GRE tutoring. Being able to work with these passionate people, as well as with my student from Nepal, really added to my semester.

Once I was back at OSU in the Spring, I tried to take advantage of all the opportunities that I missed. I joined Students Consulting for Nonprofit Organizations and proceeded to spend the entire semester consulting for Hannah’s Treasure Chest. This nonprofit is based out of Centerville, Ohio. They aim to help better situate young children born into precarious financial situations. My group and I worked to better their business model and help drive donations and profits. This experience was incredibly regarding; especially in that it showed me a concrete way in which business can be mixed with social issues.

I also ended up working for a nonprofit organization, Ascent Microfinance. This student run nonprofit organization works with poorer districts around Columbus to provide financial education, support and loans to those who need the help. I work as part of their financial education team and present on various issues all over Columbus.

In terms of academics, I took mostly intro to business courses. I did, however, take a graduate level course on global human trafficking. This was the hardest, and most rewarding class I took this semester. The professor, the other students, the readings and writing assignments really made me think critically.

This summer, I will be staying in Columbus for the most part working as a Financial Analyst for a small Columbus company. I will also continue working with Ascent Microfinance, and doing some pro bono consulting work for a nonprofit organization in New York City. This nonprofit has asked my help in creating a donor development and retention program to help orphan children in Ukraine.