If you are evaluating your teaching practice or student interactions from the student perspective, you may have asked questions that factual data and numbers cannot answer. You may need to explore qualitative research methods to find answers to questions about how students experience nursing education. Dr. Judy Tate presented a workshop on the basics of qualitative research methods in nursing education on July 16, 2019, to share with faculty how a qualitative approach might facilitate exploration and development of innovative strategies in teaching and learning. Judy covered the following topics:
- General description of qualitative research designs
- Knowing when qualitative designs are a good fit
- Discussion of types of qualitative data
- Steps in data collection and analysis in educational settings
- Application of a basic qualitative approach to examples from healthcare education
View the recording of Judy’s session, and access her presentation and other materials.