If you’ve ever felt the tension between multiple-choice tests and more complex assessments of learning, you are not alone. Read this EdSurge article on specification grading and its potential advantages over multiple choice exams for student assessment.
The grading tools in CarmenCanvas might make specification grading an efficient approach to engaging your students and finding out more about the course content they have learned and can apply to problems. The article also makes a case for the right time and way to use multiple choice tests. If you would like to explore CarmenCanvas tools (rubrics, SpeedGrader, etc.) for specification grading, please contact the mailto:email@example.com for more information.
You’ll be submitting final grades for SP18 soon. If you need a reminder of how to submit final grades, or a step-by-step tutorial, we’ve provided some resources you might find helpful below. Please contact the CON IT instructional design team if you need additional assistance.
- Step-by-step final grade submission guide (presented in Nearpod)
- Gradebook navigation basics from the Canvas Instructor Guide
- Submitting final grades (quick text-only guide to submitting final grades)
- Need to change a grade you’ve already posted to Faculty Center? See the Registrar’s instructions to change a grade online.
- See the OSU Registrar’s “Important Dates” for grade posting (find out when final grades are due)
The College of Nursing IT Department has added Zoom to their learning technology tool set!
Zoom is a cloud-based platform for video and audio conferencing, mobile collaboration, and simple online meetings. Zoom’s web-based conferencing uses high quality video and audio and is accessible on Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android mobile devices. Zoom is very similar in functionality to Adobe Connect (CarmenConnect), but because it is hosted in the cloud, it does not appear to have the same problems that arise occasionally in CarmenConnect, such as frequent disconnects and audio dropping in and out. The College of Nursing has obtained a limited number of Zoom accounts for College of Nursing faculty teaching online who are seeking an alternative to CarmenConnect.
To reserve a Zoom meeting room for your meetings and classes, visit go.osu.edu/conzoom.
On April 13, Awais Ali presented a webinar to CON faculty and staff on getting started with Zoom. View the recorded webinar.
Looking for shorter, more general tutorials in snippets? These quick Zoom video tutorials include instructions to use breakout rooms, polling, screen sharing, recording, and other advanced features.
Our 4/6/18 Flash Friday presentation covered a number of CarmenCanvas tips and tricks, including:
- A different way to work with default due dates while setting up an assignment
- Checking to make sure a rubric will be used for grading
- Making sure peer reviews require a submission (even something as simple as a text entry) so students can easily see who they need to review
- A note about regrading quiz questions that came from a question bank
- Deleting calendar items that don’t have any dates attached to them
- How to change a single person’s grade when working with group assignments
- Adding your actual syllabus to the Syllabus page
- Downloading multiple files at one time
View the recording at http://carmenconnect.osu.edu/p271p9hcwxo/
View our 5-17-18 Proctorio Flash “Thursday” presentation.
The Office of Distance Education and eLearning has concluded their search for a remote proctoring tool, and they are now making Proctorio available to all Ohio State faculty, staff, and students for larger, summative, CarmenCanvas-based exams. Proctorio records exam audio and video for review by the instructor after the exam, and it marks segments of the video where the computer algorithm has identified potential academic misconduct behavior.
Proctorio is available now campus-wide to all Ohio State faculty, staff, and students in CarmenCanvas.
- Faculty and Staff Academic Integrity Resources:
- Student Academic Integrity Resources:
- Proctorio Specific Resources:
- Instructor Getting Started Guide
- Suggested Syllabus Language
- In-Person Proctoring Options
- Student Getting Started Guide
Read the latest from the College of Nursing’s Health Sciences Library liaison, Kerry Dhakal, in her March, 2018, newsletter. Learn about new tools and opportunities available through the HSL, including:
- VisualDX: a visual diagnostic point-of-care tool developed to assist medical practitioners in clinical decision-making
- HSL Subject Guides: a place to collect course- and subject-specific library resources
- Software to support your research in the the HSL Digital Union: software like NVivo, SPSS, and Tableau Public are available for use in the 4th-floor Digital Union for you and your students to use.
LabArchives provides a series of six articles to get you started with their lab notebook tool. This is the sixth and final in the series. All information is taken directly from the tutorials they send by email to new users.
Need to review notebook activity? Who made that change, or added that file? All activities are tracked within your activity feed. It’s your notebook audit trail. Learn more …
Keep the page or entry communication and collaboration going using the commenting feature.
Need to receive communication alerts in your emails inbox. Users can be notified via email when a comment is made on an entry they have created, edited, or on which they have commented.