The College of Nursing IT Department has added Zoom to their learning technology tool set!
Zoom is a cloud-based platform for video and audio conferencing, mobile collaboration, and simple online meetings. Zoom’s web-based conferencing uses high quality video and audio and is accessible on Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android mobile devices. Zoom is very similar in functionality to Adobe Connect (CarmenConnect), but because it is hosted in the cloud, it does not appear to have the same problems that arise occasionally in CarmenConnect, such as frequent disconnects and audio dropping in and out. The College of Nursing has obtained a limited number of Zoom accounts for College of Nursing faculty teaching online who are seeking an alternative to CarmenConnect.
To reserve a Zoom meeting room for your meetings and classes, visit go.osu.edu/conzoom.
On April 13, Awais Ali presented a webinar to CON faculty and staff on getting started with Zoom. View the recorded webinar.
Looking for shorter, more general tutorials in snippets? These quick Zoom video tutorials include instructions to use breakout rooms, polling, screen sharing, recording, and other advanced features.
Please check your ability to open and use a meeting room well before your next CarmenConnect meeting! If Connect isn’t working for you, follow the instructions below.
If you are a Windows user, you can download and install the latest add-in from https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/connect-downloads-updates.html. The new add-in will install over your current version–no need to uninstall the old add-in. You may need to restart your browser or your computer.
If you are a Mac user, you’ll need to do the following:
1) Uninstall the previous add-in. Follow these instructions carefully, and be sure to empty your trash bin before you install the new add-in: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/uninstall-connect-92-add-in.html
2) Install the add-in available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/connect-downloads-updates.html
3) Restart your computer.
The instructions above are for your reference when working on your personal devices. If you experience any problems with your personal system, please contact OSU 8HELP at 614-688-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We have recently added a few new guides to Carmen Connect. Below are the new pages, which you can also find by navigating to the Carmen Connect Guide Page.
Set Up Your Audio
Take a Poll
Record Attendance in Carmen Canvas
Share a Document in your Classroom
There are quite a few guides/tutorials about CarmenConnect (aka Adobe Connect) out there. We have trimmed out some of the “fat” and present you with this shorter, more concise guide. View it now and, as always, please contact our office if you have questions.
Have you ever wanted an alternative to CarmenConnect for your meetings? Do you find it to be a bit too cumbersome or overwhelming for your basic web conferencing needs? If so, check out Google Hangouts! We have created this tutorial to give you an overview of this option.
Note: If you are using CarmenConnect to meet with your students during scheduled class-time, we strongly suggest you continue to use it. This is a tool the University fully supports, whereas Google Hangouts is something we can only provide limited support for.
Note – If you had a CarmenConnect room for your course during a previous semester, you have the option of linking to that instead of creating a new room.
- Go to http://carmenconnect.osu.edu and log in with your OSU credentials.
- Beside “Create New,” click Meeting.
- In the Name field, type the name of your room (for example, use the name of your course).
- Optional: Type in a Custom URL, noting that you can only use letters, numbers, and hyphens. Please don’t use any spaces or other punctuation. Example here is a test course.
- Don’t worry about the start time or duration unless you have a specific one-time need for the room. The room will always be open unless you delete it.
- Click on the radio button next to “Anyone who has the URL for the meeting can enter the room”.
- Click on Finish.
- Highlight the URL and copy it. This is the web address to give to anyone you want to enter your meeting room.
Linking to the CarmenConnect room from Carmen
- Go to your Carmen course and into the Content area.
- Click the New button and choose Create a Link.
- Enter a title for the link – for example, CarmenConnect Meeting. This is what students will see in Carmen and what they’ll click on to enter your meeting room.
- In the URL field, paste in the URL you had copied from the CarmenConnect site.
- Check the box next to “Open as External Resource” and click on Create.
- Go back to your Content page and you’ll see the link is there now. Click on it to confirm it works.