Global Awareness:

I wanted a global education. Throughout my time as a student, I have taken a large variety of courses to achieve this goal. The coursework I have taken is in many fields and times, from the Grecian Age in my history class to the Roman times in my Latin language sequence. I learned both about the history and cultures of these places. My British literature course was enriching—it was very different from the standard American literature taught in high school and offered me a new perspective. I have even taken a major course on the economic history of the Americas, which gave me a new, broader perspective on cultures that I thought I knew. I have explored other topics throughout my courses, but I plan to stay an active learner in my work. I also continue to be involved in the Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship Scholars Program and the Stadium Scholars Program at The Ohio State University. These two programs have a diverse group of students, and throughout the activities I do in them I learn more about the people and their cultures. It gives me a better understanding of the world to understand the people in it.

Original Inquiry:

There are many things that I have done and plan to do to better my understanding of research, and how to create new ideas on your own. The scholars group I am involved in, Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship Scholars, is all about finding the “niche” in the market and creating your own personal brand. These entrepreneurial skills translate to much more than starting a business. They are ways to approach life—with your own plans, goals, and aspirations, and working in your own special way to achieve them. Another way I have learned more on the research process was to take a course specifically on research. The economics research seminar has given me plenty of insight on how research is conducted, and the steps that go into it. I plan to complete a senior thesis to further develop my research skills, and to work more with my own original work. This is something that will thoroughly develop my research skills, and it will enhance my skills to start a project and accomplish it. Research and original creative effort plays such a vital role in society, and it is good to be a part of it and know about it.

Academic Enrichment:

I have devoted a large portion of my higher education to academic enrichment. My honors contract goes beyond the minimal requirements in breadth and depth. I took courses not to satisfy requirements, but also to challenge me. I chose courses that peaked my interest, and I knew that they would be difficult to complete. I chose rigorous coursework to build a foundation for my life. This is what I consider on of the most important aspects of a college education. Skills and lessons learned from my large range of courses will easily translate into any career. I chose my major to set me ahead in the business field. I chose my minor, mathematics, not because it is a good addition to economics, but because it is applicable, difficult, and enriching. I want to graduate college with a large set of skills, knowledge, and satisfied with my education. Using my education, I will be able to learn more throughout life and grow as a person as well.

Leadership Development:

As a student at The Ohio State University, I have been involved in two major activities throughout my time as a student here. I am an honors student and a scholars student of the Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship Scholars program. I have learned valuable leadership skills, the importance of working as a team, and how to build a successful one. I mentor two first-year scholars students for this year, teaching them skills on how to excel in their college experience. I am also involved in the Stadium Scholars Program, which has many different learning aspects. Of these, working with people on a team for the many activities we do really makes a difference in the quality of leadership. These interactions teach me valuable skills of how to talk with people and learn from them, in addition to learning different ways to lead others. I am also a STEP student for this year, and in my STEP project I will incorporate different parts of leadership into it. These different activities all relate to my career goals of having a leadership position, as well as possibly working or dealing with entrepreneurs in business.

Service Engagement:

Service is a way to give back to the community and grow as a person. The Stadium Scholars and Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship Scholars Programs have both given me opportunities to give back. They host and require service events in their programs, and are always enjoyable and rewarding. I have had the opportunity to make capes for cancer ward children, cleanup a local park, and clean the streets around me, in addition to giving back to the programs themselves through cleaning and volunteering my time. I have learned a lot through my time at Ohio State and the importance of being charitable and grateful. Service is not something that ends when you get a diploma; it is a lifelong endeavor. Giving back to the community, and the university as well, or any community that you are a part of, whether through money or time, is always worthwhile. Being engaged in charities and charity events are other ways to serve the community.