Text Review — Snow On Tha Bluff

The text I decide to review is a music album “Snow On Tha Bluff” by Jermaine Cole, better known as J.Cole. This album has only one song which shares the same name with the album. In the album, J.Cole criticizes the views of a Chicago activist and rapper, Noname. Noname has been doubtful of her peer’s inactive protests across the country for justice after the police murdering George Floyd and other victims. “Poor black folks all over the country are putting their bodies on the line in protest for our collective safety and y’all favorite top selling rappers not even willing to put a tweet up,” Noname tweeted before later deleting. In the album”Snow On Tha Bluff”, J.Cole says that he is bothered by Noname’s “queen tone”. He further explains in the lyrics “She strike me as somebody blessed enough to grow up in conscious environment” and suggests that not everyone is growing up well educated and has a clear understanding of justice. In the middle of the song, J.Cole responds to Nomame that it is more important to “convey and help get us up to speed” instead of “blame and attack the very same people that really do need”. In the end, he claims that it is more effective to treat those people like children, “understanding the time and love and patience that is needed to grow”.

Personally, I recall the concept of “identity” that I have learned in this course. I believe that this album represents a conflict between two identities that has different persperctive and awareness towards the system and injustice. Their distinct experiences and growing up environment have shaped them into two different identities that hold contrasting opinions. However, in the albums, J.Cole also mentions that he respects and honors the perspective of other identities and that Noname as a leader in these time and makes himself do a lot of thinking about the situation. Just like J.Cole points out in the album that “when I see something that is valid I listen” and “struggles with thoughts daily”.

After reviewing the album, I realized that it is normal that we have different or even conflicting opinions as we have distinct identities, but it is more important to reflect and accept the perspective with a positive attitude. We have to appreciate and value others’ views that challenge our beliefs so that we can become better by contemplating and reflecting.