“Chanel” Text Review

The text I would like to focus on comes in the form of a 3:30 song. Chanel by Frank Ocean is a hit song released in 2017 with over 400 million listens on Spotify. This song short but powerful explains numerous struggles of Frank such as his sexuality struggles as well as being a black man in modern America. The songs opening line hints at the meaning and struggle behind the song. “My guy pretty like a girl, and he got fight stories to tell, I see both sides like Chanel”. This opening line introduces Frank’s struggle with sexuality because he hints at bisexuality but still has a “masculine” concept of fighting with his partner. Later in the song Frank Ocean uses phrases more commonly found in stereotypical rap such as “I need that b**** to grind on my belt”. Phrases like this are more commonly found in music degrading women and he might have thrown it in to solidify his “masculinity”.

Another concept found throughout the sound is being Black in America and the struggles that come with it. Lyrics such as “Police think I’m of the underworld, 12 treat a ***** like he twelve” which likely refers to how Tamir Rice was shot and killed by police when he was only 12 years old. He clearly says that police look and treat him differently and assume he is up to no good simply based on his appearance instead of his actions.

The overwhelming theme on this track is “othering” and how Frank has been othered by society for being black as well as his internal struggle of being bisexual. Since society has not particularly been fond of men who do not show stereotypical masculine traits, Frank portrays this othering in his work. He must include lyrics that are more stereotypical of men in the industry to fit in. He discusses his experiences to open and hope that more and more people become accepting of others.

Link to Lyrics: https://genius.com/Frank-ocean-chanel-lyrics