Context Presentation- Things Fall Apart

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe takes place in what is known today as Nigeria.  In Achebe’s story Okonkwo makes a series of questionable decisions until things start falling apart.  The arrival of the white man towards the end of the 19th century served as a catalyst in both the destruction of tribal traditions and the life of Okonkwo.

Although fictional, the Umuofia clan is in the actual city of Onitsha, on the Niger River.  Achebe was born 40 years after the British Missionaries arrived in a city very similar to Onitsha that shared many of the same customs and struggles of the Igbo people in the book.  Much of his storytelling is grounded in his own experiences.  Achebe’s father was one of the first Christian converts in his village and even changed his name to Isaiah.  Chinua was not so influenced and did not want to forfeit his culture to the white man when he was asked to change his name to Albert (Pilkington-The Guardian).  This is small example of how controversial the arrival of the missionaries was.  Some received the Western teachings with open arms, some, like Okonkwo, resisted European influence till death, and others, like Chinua Achebe balanced the two.

Now I feel that it is important to learn more about the British colonization of Nigeria.  The British institutionalized a form of indirect rule in which the local government was to be left to the traditional chiefs, but they would be subject to the influence of British officers.  In order to maintain control of the area, the British used a “divide-and-rule” policy.  They separated Nigerian villages and clans as much as possible to limit any unified resistance towards their authority.  Another way to keep the native Nigerians crushed is to strip them of their customs and replace them with Western ideology (Britannica).  Religion, especially, was used as a tool to divide the local people while instilling British ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/jul/10/chinuaachebe#:~:text=Achebe’s%20own%20parents%20lived%20the,from%20the%20age%20of%20eight.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Nigeria/Nigeria-as-a-colony

21 thoughts on “Context Presentation- Things Fall Apart

1. Throughout my reading of Achebe’s story, I was surprised on several occasions by the treatment of women in the culture. I was still able to sympathize with the characters even though their culture is different from mine. The treatment of characters in the story with your background raises an interesting question. Are the colonization and subsequent destruction of cultures appropriate if said cultures promote violence and vast inequalities? I had a realization when you brought up the background that Achebe’s father converted to Christianity and Achebe did not. This fact parallels the story heavily and aligns with writing based on his personal experiences. It now makes sense why Okonkwo’s dad in the story was labeled as docile and weak because he no longer fit the values of the culture. This probably happened when Okonkwo’s dad converted to Christianity outside of the storytelling in the book. I’d like to imagine Okonkwo as a written projection of Achebe that wanted to resist colonization. The entire story has a new perspective and the background information you provided helps me understand some of the characters better.

2. Thank you for sharing some of this background about the two groups of people the book, “Things Fall Apart” focuses on. I believe it will help the classes understanding as we dive into some discussion questions and forums on the reading. When you mentioned that there was “city very similar to Onitsha that shared many of the same customs and struggles of the Igbo people” obviously it makes sense where the story could draw some inspiration from. But more interestingly enough, the “divide-and-rule” policy that the British used to colonize the area has offered a better explanation for my understand towards Okonkwo’s character of strength and hiding affection. Throughout the novel we see many times where he is rather so soulless that he makes violent decisions that readers may not initially understand. However, if Okonkwo’s village is a victim of this policy, and we had not seen that originally, if could explain why his character acts the way he does.

3. Thank you so much for this great context presentation for our first full novel for this course! I think you did a fantastic job giving us a thorough background into this novel and the two sides of the story. I particularly like how you focused on not only the point of view and side of the characters we will grow to know, but also the other side of the story, the British colonization and rule. Understanding the background and motives behind both sides I feel will be important to our understanding of the story. I also liked how you mentioned that although the story is fictional, it still draws a lot of inspiration for the real events that happened during this time period. I feel that this gives us more of the weight and importance of the story knowing it is truthful to something in our history. Some character development before getting deep into the story is also very helpful to set the scene for what we will continue to read about.

4. I really enjoyed reading you context presentation about “Things Fall Apart” because it was is going to help when I finish reading to notice all the connections you have already made. The analysis of the characters and how they feel about the Europeans was great because you can understanding the different perspectives and why each character felt a certain way. The story itself is very informative in the way that we can try to relate it to history and how it portrays actual events in our real world. You mentioned the importance of reading fictional stories and making the comparison to real time which I appreciated. That is truly how we learn from these types of stories.

5. Hello! I thought you translated “Things Fall Apart” into real life context really well. It was interesting to see all the connections you pointed out between the novel and real life. Furthermore, you could also see the divide between European culture and African. Because tribes like Umuofia clan that opposed Western ideology, they were deemed savages and uncivilized. When reality, they just wanted to say true to their own customs and culture. I really liked how you also included the “divide-and-rule” policy. Britain strived to conquer these clans so they could fault to Britains ideologies.

6. Your context presentation about “Things Fall Apart” was really interesting and exciting to read. I like how you talked about both characters and how what they went through was different from each other. I also like how you added in the perspective of the British rulers. It is always good to have multiple perspectives. This keeps the story from being one sided. Although this story is fictional it feels real which is really neat. The analysis of the characters and the descriptions of the real towns are good. Part of me wonders why some natives rejected the European influence while others accepted it with open arms. Maybe different tribes had different rules and wanted to stick to them. However, when your tribal chiefs have to be “influenced” by new people, some things can go wrong. I enjoyed reading your post!

7. I really enjoyed reading your context presentation about ” Things Fall Apart”. I appreciate the aspect of you going further and researching the backgrounds of the two groups of people mentioned in the book. I find it very interesting when you stated that the book was based off of Achebe’s own experiences, I can’t imagine how hard that must have been growing up in your hometown that has been colonized by Westerners. Westerners who completely want to wipe out any trace of your culture’s traditions and customs. What struck me the most was when you mentioned that the British used to knowingly separate the Nigerian people so that they don’t become unified. I can’t imagine how fearful and scared the indigenous people were, and how that must have affected them. The story if very informative and does a great job of capturing both sides of the story, the British and the Nigerian.

8. Great context presentation on the piece of literature, “Things Fall Apart”. I enjoyed how you provided background information that you could not clearly derive just by reading the text. This really helped me grasp the concept of the book and also the different viewpoints that were had at the time. Specifically, pertaining to whether the natives accepted or rejected the westerners. Imperialism from places such as Europe was massive at the time and was destroying the traditions of regions such as Africa which was depicted in the book. The story gives great insight on the varying issues at the time for countries that were being westernized during the imperialism era.

9. I really enjoyed your description of the differing responses that the Nigerians had to the British colonization on their land. I think it is very fitting of Okonkwo’s character to respond with complete resistance. As a strong-willed man who is known for showing little affection and cares most about being manly and powerful, it is everything but a surprise to see that he would not take on the beliefs of Christianity as Achebe’s father. Obviously, his story is fictional, but I think that Achebe did a great job of portraying his character in a way that would allow us to know how he would respond to such an invasion.

10. Hi!!
    I think that this post on the reading “Things Fall Apart” was really amazing. Last semester I took a class called African Health and Healing, and we learned about the effects of British colonization throughout different parts of Africa. Your explanation was very similar to the ideas and lessons that we learned. I like how you included the information about some people accepting the changes and culture of the British while others did not. I would like to add that the British colonization formed a divide between people within towns. Many people that accepted the religions and culture of the British didn’t respect those who were not willing to change their beliefs. Another great point that you added was the fact that the British used the “divide and rule” policy to control the towns and people within the country. Overall great response with awesome information about the British rule and how it impacted Nigeria and correlated to the reading.

11. I really enjoyed your post. I love that you gave background on the book and explored the groups further. It was interesting to learn about the rule the British created. It seems as if to keep the Nigerians under control the government separated them and attempted to alter their way of life, specifically their customs. I am intrigued to learn more about this concept and their history.

12. Thank you for providing context to “Things Fall Apart”. When I was reading through this work initially I had a hard time visualizing the environment as my experiences in this type of landscape are limited. Your information on the British colonization of Nigeria I found to be extremely relevant and helpful at gaining perspective on the circumstances of the surrounding. Landscapes of colonization are different and because Nigeria was colonized so long ago, I’m sure the structure and other aspects of the environment still reflect that. Ignoring the physical repercussions of colonization, the British coming in definitively altered Nigerian culture forever.

13. I really like your post. I like that you have provided background knowledge for this book. Some of them accept the changes and culture of Britain, while others do not. It is undeniable that the British colonial rule formed a gap between people in the town. The imperialism from Europe and other places was huge at the time and was destroying the traditions of Africa and other regions described in the book. Finally, I really like the way you added the “divide and conquer” policy.

14. Thank you for your sharing the background information and I have some different ideas about this story. Okonkwo, like most of the aborigines, has a stubborn adherence to the original order, and he feels powerless and sad in the face of the wave brought by white people. Let’s examine this story again. What exactly did the white people bring, we can say that it is civilization, because those ancient and silly and bloody customs were finally washed away, and then order was restored, and even courts, schools, and governments appeared. We can also say that it has brought destruction. Those poor people who depended on everything before, bowed their heads weakly, waiting for them is a long humiliation. Though you might say this is a catalyst, but I think this destructive blow is very inhumane and cruel.

15. Your “Things Fall Apart” background presentation was very insightful and entertaining to learn. I like how you thought to both characters and how they varied from each other and what they went through. I really like how you have contributed to the British rulers’ viewpoint. Getting multiple viewpoints is always good. It prevents the tale from being one handed. Although this is a fictional novel, it feels genuine, which is pretty neat. The analysis of the protagonists and the explanations of the actual cities are nice. Part of me asks why some indigenous people resisted European influence, while others with open arms welcomed it. Perhaps multiple tribes had different laws and decided to stick with them.

16. Thank you for sharing this context presentation! I had no idea that this book was so strongly written in Chinua Achebe’s own experiences. I find it very interesting that Achebe’s father was one of the first converts, and I think that’s a very important perspective to bring into this novel. That perspective could be a reason that, while this book seems to be a criticism of colonialism and imperialism, it also explores the issues with the cultures that were colonialized. I think that while reading this novel it is important to remember that this is not a relic of the ancient world, and that imperialism/colonialism are still alive and well. The story of America has been widely erased (the culture of Native American tribes), and to consider this an issue of the past is foolish and short-sighted.

17. Thanks for the insight and background on the novel “Things Fall Apart”! It is interesting to learn that Achebe lived through a similar experience with colonization. He lived in a colonized village in Nigeria where white Christians came in and altered the culture. It is interesting that the British colonialists ruled Nigeria indirectly, which we also could see to some extent in the novel. They allowed the tribal leaders to remain publicly in power, but British officers had influence over them. There are signs of removing cultural norms from the tribes in the novel, and implementing Christianity to instill western British ideals.

18. I really liked that you gave us background information because I was not knowledgeable of this! I liked that you included some information about the colonization of Nigerian people. I think a lot of this can also compare to the colonization of the American indigenous people. I think you had a very well organized and interesting presentation!

19. hello, you have some really good sources. I think that it is wrong to have people change their name to fit into a certain criteria. A name holds a person’s identity and people coming into someones’ land and trying to force them to change their name is wrong. I noticed that at the time in a way that people were divided when following what the Europeans were saying. It makes me think, what was happening in people’s individual lives that shaped their choice in becoming christians and in a way picking up on the lifestyles of the British. The main character’s son became a christian but the main character was beating his family. Maybe his son became a christian because he was hurt and wanted hope in God. Great work

20. Great background research on “Things Fall Apart”. I had no idea was influenced by his own personal experience and that his own father was influenced by the colonization so much. I found it interesting to learn about how these people would change their names to accustom to the new culture that arrived in their areas. It helped explain why the main character Okonkwo stuck to his ideals until the very end and why his son decided to switch his name to Isaac and leave behind the customs and culture he was raised in. Also learning about the British’s motives and the methods they were using when travelling to these villages changes the perspective of how I viewed them in the reading when they first arrived.

21. Thank you for sharing another background of reading “Things Fall Apart.” IN the reading, I only know the one side of history event. It help me understand action Okonkwo in that period of time. I also understand how colonizers changes the tribe.