Context Presentations

In this week, we will watch the film Black Panther. Black Panther is the first black superhero movie and a very meaningful milestone. The story takes place in the fictional and hidden African country “Wakanda”, which is rich in precious metal deposits and has developed incredible technology.

Marvel Studios’ BLACK PANTHER..Wakanda..Ph: Film Frame..©Marvel Studios 2018

In our real world, there is also a black panther. I want to talk about the connections and similarities between these two panthers. “The Black Panther Party (BPP), originally the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, was a Black Power political organization founded by college students Bobby Seale (Chairman) and Huey P. Newton in October 1966 in Oakland, California. The Black Panther Party’s core practice was its open carry armed citizens’ patrols (“copwatching”) to monitor the behavior of officers of the Oakland Police Department and challenge police brutality in the city.”

In the black civil rights movement, too many black heroes died under persecution and assassination. The most famous are Martin Luther King, who advocates non-violence and non-cooperation; and Malcom X, who advocates the supremacy of black power and the violent revolution to overthrow the hypocritical white rule in the United States.

(Pictures from Internet)

So the movie “Black Panther” was born with reality as a metaphor. In the new era, Martin Luther King, facing the injustice of the fate of blacks, is still propagating his strategy of nonviolent struggle. However, at this time, he was already equipped with a battle suit made of Vibranium, and he was born as the new superhero of the Avengers. In the new era, Malcolm X has gone through vicissitudes in the Middle East battlefield, killing countless people, and finally wanted to seize an opportunity for Vibranium smuggling, return to his hometown, fight for the throne, and use Wakanda’s advanced technology to once again set off black violence and revolution. Faced with the fate of black people in the new era, one of the two brothers chose non-violence, while the other still chose violence and revolutionism.

Marvel Studios’ BLACK PANTHER
L to R: Erik Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) and T’Challa/Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman)
Ph: Matt Kennedy
©Marvel Studios 2018

Citation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_Party

13 thoughts on “Context Presentations

1. Hi!
    I thought this presentation was so interesting! I never made a connection to two black panthers. I did not know that there was a “Black Panther Party” and connections made from Malcolm X and MLK jr. to the movie. Thanks so much for sharing! Great analysis.

2. Hello!
    Your presentation was very eye-opening with connections you made with the film and the “Black Panther Party”. It was so clear to see the connection between the idealogies of MLK and his parallel in the movie, T’Challa, and with Malcolm X and his parallel, Killmonger. Awesome presentation!

3. I hadn’t made the connection between the movie and real-world civil rights activists, so it was interesting to see how it was connected. I also appreciated the background on the Black Panther party, as while I’d heard of them, I wasn’t too familiar with their history.

4. Hi,
    Thank you for sharing this context research. By reading this research, I can really get a more comprehensive understanding of the article. I am interested in the history that you point in this submission. What I wonder to say is that the spirit of these heroes deserves the respect of us all. All in all, you did a very great job with this submission.

5. Hi,

Thank you so much for this blog post. For one, I was not completely educated on the origin of the black panther party and their original motives. I really enjoyed the connection you made between Black Panther the movie and the real world. Your point about one person being peaceful and the other encouraging violence I found to be a great connection. I can completely see that connection and I wonder if there are any other subtle things in the film that connect back to this connection you have made.

6. Hi! This post was really informative and definitely gives a background of history of Black Panther and the movements that originated from it. I think you did a good job explaining everything and using media to further strengthen your post!

7. Hello,
    I loved this context presentation, and I think the connection between the movie and real life black panther really gave a good insight to the real world aspects intertwined in the film. I think this was well-written and informative. Great job!

8. Hello,
    Prior to this class, I had never seen this movie, so this connection was very interesting and gave me something to keep an eye out for as I was watching. I think the connection you made enables us to find the deeper meaning behind the movie and the scenes within it. Thanks for sharing!!

9. Hi, Sun
    I have watched this movie once it came out, but my initial focus for this movie was the superhero black panther, and I have not make any connection between this movie and reality. I knew this movie was meant to stress equality, so I respect this movie a lot even though I did not think too much. I really appreciate your analysis, making connections between the movie and reality, and your analysis makes a lot sense to me!

10. Hey,
    It was very interesting to read about the connection you made to the real-life Black Panther Party. I had never considered this before seeing the film as my only interest was to see some superhero. However, your connection allowed me to think more deeply about the connections and metaphors the movie relates to.

11. Hey!
    I love your incorporation of images for your context presentation. I think this does a great job illuminating some of the social issues that are still relevant today. I have seen Black Panther before we were required to watch it in class, however I never drew a connection between him and other African American heroes such as MLK.

12. Hi!
    I really enjoyed reading through your presentation, I can tell you put a lot of effort towards this. I also really appreciated your use of images I think it helps to create emphasis. This allowed me to make many more connections in the movie.