Blog #7 – Reflections

After taking the time to review our course syllabus and what we have accomplished over these 4 months, it was fun to see all we have had the opportunity to learn.  My awareness to didactic education has expanded immensely and I am grateful for that experience.  There is so much time and effort spent when creating a course and planning a learning environment for students which my awareness was heightened in the course.  I also learned that an instructors own sense of creativity permeates the foundation of the class.  Each module provided a chance to learn something new about a topic which I only knew from the perspective of a student.  I feel that I have a better foundation now for didactic teaching when presented with the opportunity.  In fact, this course was pivotal in guiding me through my first experience teaching a topic in a class period this semester to first year dental hygiene students.  I used the flipped classroom experience approach.  It was a great experience to have learned about the flipped classroom and to put it into practice with a group of students.  What I found most valuable about the experience was taking time to reflect after it occurred.  It was through this action I was able to see what worked in the two hours I had with the students and where I could improve.  One area I hope to work on is being a guide as students discuss topics in their individual groups and weaving it together as the discussion moves with the entire class.

As for what I hope to carry with me when I enter an academic career, the topics that were very helpful were the active learning modules, the syllabus module and assessment modules.  I liked being exposed to alternative methods for instruction.  It was fun to learn about alternative ways to engage students in the learning process.  An important concept I grasped was learning how to construct a syllabus and understanding the importance of alignment of course objectives and goals with assessments.  My confidence has grown in how to construct a course.  This, along with the exposure I have had to create an innovative classroom and alternative ways of instruction has given me a foundation in which to grow and strengthen as a future instructor.

I felt that the topic I most connected with was constructing a syllabus and the assessment assignments.  I don’t feel very strong in assessment design yet but understanding the importance of this step in the education process resonated with me.  Assessments and creating a syllabus felt like a puzzle that needed to be put together.  I enjoyed the process.

This course, I believe, will be a course that I will refer back to over and over again in a future academic career.  The information presented in our course text books has been a good resource for me and will continue to be for the future.  I have appreciated the feedback and reflections of those in my class from their own personal experience in education to their own reflection on what we have learned.  I look forward to seeing how other instructors incorporate and define innovative teaching in their classroom and I look forward to continuing to learn and to put into practice what this means to me.  Thank you for this foundation.