Blog Home Page

Hello everyone! My name is Caroline Mifsud and I am a student in PHR 7588: Toxic Substances. For my 4 topics, I chose to study Bacillus thuringiensis, arsenic, toluene, and poison ivy. I chose these four particular topics because not only were they specifically interesting to me, but they are all clinically relevant.

In the Bacillus thuringiensis blog, you’ll learn about the role that it plays as a pesticide. Interestingly, it is pretty safe to use in terms of toxicity. You’ll learn about the mechanism of action and how it works as an insecticide.

In the arsenic blog, you’ll learn about the differences between the three types of arsenic compounds: organic, inorganic, and arsine gas. In addition, you’ll discover the variety of places that arsenic can be found. Did you know it’s commonly found in rice and even drinking water? Later, you’ll read about a research study involving rats that suggests arsenic might be considered an essential metal.

In the toluene blog, you’ll explore the many ways that one could be exposed to toluene – and why you should avoid it! There is even some genetic differences in some people who have been exposed to toluene.

Finally, you’ll learn all about poison ivy, the plant that makes us all itchy. Did you know that over 85 percent of people are allergic to this pesky plant? You’ll get to see what a rash from poison ivy looks like, as well as learn about the different remedies to use if you do come into contact with it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog – I hope you enjoy!