STEM activities are a great way to introduce Cloverbuds to the world of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. By participating in hands-on STEM activities, children can learn problem- solving skills, creativity, and decision making skills.
Using the season to build activities around a theme engages Cloverbuds and connects them to real world experiences. Try this favorite Fall-themed STEM activity with your Cloverbuds at your next meeting.
Mini Pumpkin Volcano
- Mini Pumpkin
- Baking Soda
- Dish soap
- Food Coloring
- Measuring Cup
- Tray or paper (for the mess)
What to Do:
- Cut the stem area of the pumpkin, keeping the opening smaller.
- Clean out the seeds.
- Place the pumpkin on the tray or paper.
- Add 3 to 4 spoons of baking soda to each pumpkin. Add a few drops of dish soap, and a few drops of food coloring.
- Pour vinegar into a bowl and have the Cloverbud use a measuring cup to pour vinegar into the pumpkin. Watch as the pumpkin erupts!
To make your pumpkin volcano even more interesting, carve the pumpkin like a jack-o-lantern and watch the eruption from different angles of the pumpkin.
Photos from Adobe Stock