We are all fascinated by slime! There are so many different colors, textures, mixtures, and ingredients used to make slime. A classic favorite that has been around for quite some time is Oobleck. Oobleck was cool before slime was cool! Take some time with your Cloverbuds to make some Oobleck.
Make sure you have a space that can get messy, gather all the ingredients, and wash your hands before you begin.
- Small bowl
- 1 cup of water
- 1.5 – 2 cups of cornstarch
- Spoon – optional
- A few drops of food coloring – optional
- Pour water into a small bowl.
- Begin adding cornstarch to the water. You can stir with a spoon at first, but you’ll need to use your hands as the mixture thickens.
- As you are mixing the cornstarch in you may add the optional food coloring.
- Once you’ve added 1.5 cups of cornstarch, add the remaining amount a little at a time. You may not need it at all.
- You are looking for a consistency that is liquid and solid at the same time.
- If you find you’ve added too much cornstarch, add a little water to thin it out.
Oobleck is a great tool to use when teaching hands-on science concepts. Once you have created your Oobleck, take some time to play with it.
Discuss the following science concepts:
- Is it a solid? Or is it a liquid? – Answer: It acts as both!
- What is a solid? – Answer: matter that retains it’s shape when not confined.
- What is a liquid? – Answer: a substance that flows freely.
- What other things can be both a solid and a liquid? – Answer: water/ice, rock/lava
Store your Oobleck in an air-tight container. Be sure to tell your Cloverbuds not to eat their Oobleck!