- Campus-scale energy modeling and load shaping: Measuring, modeling and predicting peak shaving in campus buildings; Low-order gray box modeling with smart meter data; Use of drones for rapid energy model generation; Bottom-up campus and community-scale modeling.
- Laboratory Ventilation and Dispersion Modeling: Improvement of ASHRAE model for laboratory exhaust dispersion; Full-scale validation of dilution prediction models; campus energy savings via lab exhaust turndown.
- Smart Air Quality Control in Buildings: Development of data-driven optimized ventilation control strategies in homes and commercial buildings; low-cost air quality sensors for integration into smart building control systems; investigations into use of ventilation for load shifting in commercial buildings;
- Sorbent-based dehumidification, air conditioning and passive air cleaning. Membrane based 100% solar air conditioning; use of Lithium Chloride liquid desiccants for humidity and gas-phase pollutant control in greenhouses; use of dehumidification sorbents for simultaneous gas-phase air cleaning
3. ASHRAE 1823-RP Improved Exhaust-to-Intake Dilution (Concentration) Calculations, funded by ASHRAE, PI.
4. Collaborative Development of 100% Solar-Driven Adsorption Air Conditioner, funded by OSU Connect and Collaborate Grants Program, PI with Casey Wade and W.S. Winston Ho, Ohio State; and Daikin North America LLC.
5. Liquid desiccant humidity control solutions for indoor agricultural facilities, funded by SEEDS: The CFAES Research Competitive Grants Program, PI with Peter Ling, Ohio State; and Agam Greenhouse Energy Systems, Ltd.