Ohio State University Extension and the Ohio Department of Agriculture are partnering to encourage people to plant a fall victory garden. Dubbed Ohio Victory Gardens – Let’s Grow Ohio, the statewide project will be piloted in five Ohio counties this fall: Lucas, Cuyahoga, Hamilton, Clark, and Franklin. The project will include educational programs targeted to fall vegetable gardening throughout Ohio and distribution of free seeds in the five pilot counties.
In addition, they are establishing a u.osu.edu/ohiovictorygardens website to gather together numerous resources around the state focused on vegetable gardening. They are in need of any resources that either you or your county have created (videos, fact sheets, etc.) as well as those you use regularly for vegetable gardening and preservation, etc. See the following list for resource categories:
- Pots and Plots (soils, planning the garden, season extension, container gardens)
- Insects!Diseases!Critters! OH My! (pest management information)
- Buzz about Pollinators (information about pollinators)
- Seeds – Come and Get Them (seed distribution information, pilot testing in six counties in August and all counties in spring)
- Donating Your Victory (food pantries, food banks, etc.)
- Cook ‘N Can It! (What to do with your Victory (preservation, recipes, other)
- Show off the Good, The Bad & The Ugly (people submit photos)
Please contact Associate Professor, Pamela Bennett if you would like to add to the resource list. Follow this link to learn more.