Madison Taylor

Information about Native Peoples

“The Native Peoples, Christopher Columbus, Social Studies, Glencoe.” The Journey of Christopher Columbus. McGraw Hill, n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2016.

Click here to visit site

Excerpt: “The groups of native people incorrectly labeled “Indians” by Columbus were actually a diverse mix of different tribes which spanned the islands of the Greater and Lesser Antilles. The people Columbus encountered are known as the Tainos. The different groups that lived in the Bahamas at the time of his arrival were the Eastern, Western, and Classic Tainos; the Island-Caribs; and a small group called the Guanahatabeys. According to most recent findings, the natives were spread out among the large and small islands of the Caribbean, with the Tainos dominating the landscape.”

Note: I think this source is a necessary component to any strong essay in opposition of Christopher Columbus.  It details the culture of the Native Americans and how Columbus clashed with that culture.  It also tells how he had no intention of understanding their culture, but rather just wanted to change it and make them assimilate.

Use: I will use this to show how Columbus was culturally incompetent and, frankly, quite rude.  His ignorance is, in my opinion, what made him most villainous.

Journal of Christopher Columbus 

Olson, Julius E. and Edward G. Bourne (editors). The Northmen, Columbus and Cabot, 985-1503: The Voyages of the Northmen; The Voyages of Columbus and of John Cabot. (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1906). Pages 87-258.

Click here to visit site

Excerpt: “I saw that some of them had a small piece fastened in a hole they have in the nose, and by signs I was able to make out that to the south, or going from the island to the south, there was a king who had great cups full, and who possessed a great quantity.”

Note: This is my most reliable source, considering the words are Columbus’.  There are several quotes that point to his quest for gold and desire to make natives slaves.  He had no desire to learn about their culture and wanted to convert them to Christianity because he believed they did not have a religion (but they did).

Use: I can use his feelings and actions towards Native Americans to villainize him (though he already did it himself).  I can almost twist his words, which he thought were innocent, and make him into the true villain that he actually is.

Other pages:

Visit Jiawen’s page

Visit Thomas’s page

Visit Yingcen’s page