IA Service Spotlight: College Mentors for Kids (CMFK)

IA Zoom Event

2/10/21

I had been looking for a service opportunity that would be flexible enough for my busy schedule but also had the component of helping others, especially young kids so this zoom event was perfect for me. I think I first heard about this program my freshman year but I did not have time to commit last year because I was still figuring college out for myself. I love that it’s a national non-profit organization dedicated to helping 1st-5th graders because those are prime ages for when kids need mentors, guidance, and just someone to spend time with who care about them. I was a peer mentor in the fall for incoming college freshmen and it was one of the most rewarding experiences being able to help them and answer questions that they were too afraid to reach out to others to ask. I really enjoy working with younger people because I have a “big sister” personality and am very open and passionate about guiding kids to where they want to be. I like that the CMFK program has so many different days and times available and that the time commitment is only 2 hours a week because it is flexible enough to fit into my schedule. It’s exciting that they have staff opportunities as well because if I really want to be more engaged with the program, I could apply to be a VP for a certain department. The application process goes by semester so I think I’ll apply for the next upcoming round but I can’t wait to get involved and look forward to getting paired up with a little buddy next year!