Thinking About Law School? Answering Questions with IA 4th Year Layla Khalid

IA Zoom Event Reflection
4/2/20
I was super interested in this event because I am currently on the pre-law track at OSU but unfortunately couldn’t make the zoom meeting because I was at work. Luckily, Layla provided a PowerPoint for us filled with helpful tips and facts about law school and I used that to help me plan my path. I really like the timeline she designed because it helped me visualize how I could spend my next few years at OSU and what I need to prepare myself for if I do decide to attend law school. Going into the presentation, I had minimal knowledge on law schools and the tests/exams needed to get into them. Layla broke down the LSAT into 5 parts and gave example problems for us to see and even showed us how she would go about the questions. I learned a lot of things I didn’t know before from the presentation, for example: there’s a section on the LSAT that is not scored but you don’t know which section because they pick at random. That means I will have to try my best and do well on all sections of the LSAT because every section counts. However, law school is not just about how well you do on the LSAT. Letters of recommendation, personal statements, and additional essays are important as well. This event has really helped me with furthering the path I’m currently taking at OSU and how I can improve to better my chances in the future if I decide on pursuing a degree in law. I am thinking about law school because it has always been something I’ve wanted to do; I’ve always had a passion for fighting injustice, especially after learning about how the rich and privileged get away with crimes just because they have money, power and connections. I believe everybody deserves to have the same opportunity to be represented and defended but some people are less fortunate and cannot afford a lawyer to help them. If I were to specialize in an area of law I would probably choose criminal justice or immigration/international affairs because I have a strong interest in civil & criminal law and I have many language skills that can help in that department.