During my academic career at the Ohio State University, I plan on enriching myself with all the resources and opportunities that the Ohio State University has to offer.

Global Awareness:

During the summer before attending the Ohio State University, I spent two months in Taiwan, spending time with family and exploring Taiwan’s rich culture. Additionally, I spent a week in Seoul, South Korea. During my experience in Taiwan and South Korea, I learned a lot about the culture and how it differs from the United States.

Coming to the Ohio State University, I want to continue to enrich myself about different culture through joining campus organizations that promote diversity and different cultures. Currently, I serve as a freshman representative for J2K, which is a K-Pop, J-Pop, and C-Pop dance organization. It has been really interesting to meet other students, who share the same interest in East Asian pop culture.

I am also interested in enriching my awareness to global cultures by learning a new language and pursuing study abroad opportunities either in Taiwan or South Korea.

Original Inquiry:

I think it is fascinating how students at the Ohio State University can explore and conduct undergraduate research in a different fields, which can be different from their major. Although I am a biochemistry major, I am also very interested in pursuing research in microbiology, especially in the field of infectious diseases. I want to learn how viruses and bacteria infect healthy cells, and how to prevent the onset of illness or suppress the symptoms.

Academic Enrichment:

I chose to be a biochemistry major because I really enjoy learning about chemistry and biology, and how they interact. I think it is fascinating how all of the fields of sciences are interconnected, and I am very excited to take classes to discover more about biochemistry.

Additionally, I am also pursuing a minor in business because I believe it is very important to understand the foundations of business that governs our society. I’m extremely interested in learning about management and how to run a business.

One of the GE classes that I’m extremely interested in taking is Theatre 2341H. Theatre 2341H is a course, exploring different aspects of film through the eyes of the producer. While the majority of the courses that I am taking involve science and math, I have always been very interested in the art of film making. I am inspired how a story line can evolve from paper and immerse the audience in the vivid world of the film. I’m interested to learn how filming angles, scenery, and film scores come together in the production of film.

My selection of classes will allow me to explore different aspects of academics and society beyond science. For example, it will allow me to continue my passion for music and connect with other musicians, through playing the flute in the Collegiate Winds.

Leadership Development:

Currently, I serve as a freshman representative of the dance organization, J2K. As a part of the executive board for the club, I am learning how to organize large scale events and how to problem solve conflicts. I am also a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta (AEDelta), Collegiate Winds, and the Club Swimming team. Furthermore, I would like to pursue different internship opportunities such as becoming a TA or tutor. I would like to share my own knowledge and experiences to my peers and help them excel in class as well.

Service Engagement:

Currently, I am a member of the pre-med organization Alpha Epsilon Delta, which regularly volunteers at the Physician’s Free Clinic. The Physician’s Free Clinic is a clinic that provides free medical services to people, who are unable to afford the full price of health care. It is a very humbling and enlightening experience to volunteer at the clinic. We are able to interact directly with the patients and have a crucial role in making sure that the clinic can run efficiently. Aside from volunteering at the free clinic, I hope to explore more volunteer opportunities around Columbus.