Battelle’s Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Business Line is currently seeking candidates for a full time, permanent position as a Trace Analytical Chemist. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Primary job responsibilities will include the following:
- Plan and perform advanced chemical analysis and research for projects involving trace analysis of components in environmental samples and complex matrices.
- Design and conduct experiments utilizing a variety of mass spectrometry analysis techniques including, but not limited to LC-MS/MS, GC-HRMS, LC-HRMS; determine appropriate acceptance criteria, conduct technical data reviews, analyze and interpret data collected, form conclusions, and write/review technical correspondence and technical reports.
- Troubleshoot complex laboratory problems; provide new perspectives to existing solutions. Develop innovative testing and/or analysis methods to improve results and/or the efficiency of the process.
- Conduct and/or lead a variety of small research/technical projects or phases of technical projects. Provide technical direction to and coordinate the efforts of small teams of scientists and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects within time and budget constraints.
- Prepare and make technical presentations to clients, both formal and informal.
- Assist with proposal efforts. Prepare technical sections of proposals.
- Oversee, mentor and train lower-level staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Minimum requirement of PhD in analytical chemistry or organic chemistry with significant analytical experience, with 0-3 years of industrial experience or post-doc experience.
- Demonstrated experience using chromatographic systems such as gas chromatographs (GC) or liquid chromatographs (LC) coupled with mass spectrometry (MS) systems.
- Demonstrated experience working with advanced MS systems such as tandem (MS/MS) or high resolution mass spectrometers.
- Proven experience with operation, calibration, and maintenance of MS instruments and interpretation of data.
- Proficient in standard wet chemistry sample extraction and cleanup techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative chemical analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Incumbent must successfully pass medical screening, including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) and work with highly hazardous materials
- Sole US citizenship
- Incumbent will be subject to a government security investigation and must have the ability to obtain/maintain a security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Demonstrated experience with high resolution mass spectrometry (HRMS), time of flight mass spectrometry (TOFMS), hybrid tandem mass spectrometers, two-dimensional gas chromatography, and ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC).
- Experience with trace chemical analysis
- Experience working with toxic chemicals
- Experience operating in GLP/GMP/ISO environments