When: Friday, April 26th from 8:45am-1:15pm
Where: Southern State Community College in Washington Court House, Ohio (Here’s a link to the address in Google Maps)
Why: Judge high school student capstone projects (no experience necessary!)
BioOhio is working with Jamie Allison, Loveland High School biotech teacher and Manager of the Southwest Ohio Bioscience Education Consortium (SWOBEC), to help coordinate activities for this year’s bioscience capstone competition.
Would you be able to volunteer as a judge? We would very much like to have you with us! Email Drew Cook if you can help (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Capstone will feature fascinating projects in several bioscience-focused fields. Students from Loveland High School and Eastland-Fairfield CTS will present their amazing projects & posters.
Judges are asked to be on site by 8:45am. Opening remarks will be delivered at 9am. We expect judging will be completed by noon, at which point lunch will be provided. The event will be concluded by 1:15pm following the awards ceremony.
American Regent is a leading manufacturer of generic and branded specialty injectables, with several facilities in Columbus, OH.
An example of responsibilities can include but are not limited to:
- Perform assigned analytical testing of raw materials, finished product, stability samples and lab batch samples using HPLC, GC, IC, and UV.
- Design and execute the method transfer protocol from Research and Development to either Quality Control or external analytical laboratories. Assist in writing method transfer reports.
- Support the activities to develop analytical methods to assess the purity, potency and stability of drug substances and finished products.
- Record and report all lab data as per approved procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure all work is performed and documented in accordance with existing company policies, procedures, current Good Manufacturing Practices, and health & safety requirements.
- Maintain clean and safe work environment in the laboratory
- Perform any other tasks/duties as assigned by management
Interested applicants should contact Ting Zhang @ TZhang@americanregent.com
A Doctoral degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics or related area is required. Experience with immunology or bioinformatics is preferred; record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and expertise in cell culture and mouse models is preferred. Requires successful completion of a background check; qualified candidates may be asked to complete a pre-employment physical including a drug screen.
Post Doctoral Researcher to pursue specialized research training and experience under the guidance of a scientific mentor; conducts research to study molecular mechanisms of colon cancer metastasis and drug resistance, to identify and validate novel targets associated with cell survival, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis using cell culture and mouse models, and ultimately to develop effective therapies to treat colon cancer patients; develops, adopts and implements new laboratory methods to achieve characterization of the genetic basis of human cancers; identifies novel genes and examines their role in cancer development; analyzes changes in gene copy number and mRNA or protein expression, gene cloning and mutation detection; participates in analyzing data for reports for the purpose of grants submissions; trains staff in molecular biology techniques
Dr. Jenny Wang – email@example.com
A Doctoral degree in an appropriate discipline is required. Animal handling experience preferred. Knowledge of cell and molecular biology and mouse models of cancer desired; Experience in bioinformatics, Ingenuity and TCGA data analysis analysis desired. Requires successful completion of a background check; qualified candidates may be asked to complete a pre-employment physical including a drug screen.
Post doctoral researcher to pursue specialized research training and experience under the guidance of a scientific mentor; conducts research to characterize and understand the mechanisms of the role of diets and exercise in the development of GI cancers in particular pancreatic cancer; develops a multidisciplinary approach to understanding the basic mechanisms of tumorigenesis and cancer prevention, which will include the use of biochemistry, cell biology, immunology, molecular biology, proteomics, animal modeling and mouse genetics, translational medicine, and/or the use of human tumor models of GI cancers; develops, adopts and implements new laboratory methods to evaluate the role of diets and exercise and the mechanisms for cancer prevention and achieve characterization of the genetic basis of human cancers; identifies novel genes and examines their role in cancer development; implements new laboratory methods to study the link between diets and exercise and cancer prevention; analyzes changes in gene copy number, RNA-seq, TCGA, mRNA or protein expression, gene cloning and mutation detection; participates in analyzing data for reports for the purpose of grants submissions; trains staff in molecular biology techniques; assists PI with grant proposals to obtain outside funding from state and federal agencies; participates in analyzing data for reports for the purpose of grants submissions;
HOW TO APPLY:
Please go to this website to apply, https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/careers/current-openings/research/443986
Visit this website for all contact info and more information on the lab, https://sites.google.com/view/zcm-lab/home
Now accepting applications for the 2019 Baxter Young Investigator Awards (BYIA). The BYIA is an annual program sponsored by Baxter to support and promote innovative research applicable to the development of our critical therapies and clinical diagnostics. BYIA is open to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in North America.
To apply for this prestigious award, or to obtain more information, please visit the BYIA website: https://www.baxter.com/our-story/fueling-collaborative-innovation/baxter-young-investigator-awards.
This webpage provides the scope & criteria for the awards, as well as detailed eligibility requirements and conditions. It also provides links to past winners and their research titles.
The Physiology and Cell Biology Graduate Student Organization has invited John Lewis to give a talk on campus. All seniors, graduate students and Post-docs are welcome!
John Lewis, the CEO of BioOhio (https://www.bioohio.com/about/staff/), will present a special seminar at the Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute (473 W 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210) on April 24th 12-1 in room 165. He will provide information on biotech hubs in Ohio, career options for graduate students & seniors, and networking. If people are interested in opportunities in the biotech, pharma, & biomedical industry, then this will be a great opportunity to learn more!
Send Brian Paleo an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to RSVP for the event. Space is limited for this event, so RSVP now!
Molecular Force-Field Scientist
- Newly qualified PhD or a postdoc with expertise in theoretical physics / biophysics / quantum chemistry, or with equivalent experience and expertise
- Experience in developing Molecular Force-fields of any type a huge plus
- Deep understanding of forces which govern the quantum world and interaction between molecules (e.g. London force, stacking interaction, cation-p interaction, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of organic chemistry and drug-discovery chemistry is a plus
- Understanding and appreciation of the difference between various quantum chemistry techniques: HF, MP2, CCSD(T), DFT, SAPT, etc.
- Experience with calculation of molecular and atomic properties with quantum chemistry software such as Gaussian, GAMESS, MolPro, PSI, etc.
- Experience using molecular dynamics (MD) packages e.g. GROMACS, NAMD, etc. to simulate molecular systems ( protein complexes, homogeneous and heterogeneous liquids, solvation, etc.) highly desirable.
- Software development experience and fluency in C/C++ a plus.
- UNIX/Linux fluency and programming in Matlab highly desirable.
Applications can be uploaded or emailed
Molecular Simulations Scientist
The job may be considered a postdoctoral appointment as the candidate is likely to enhance his/her publication record.
- Experience and expertise in using Molecular Dynamics packages (Gromacs, NAMD, LAMMPS, Desmond, etc.)
- Experience in performing molecular simulations of biological systems. Specifically experience in simulating ligand-protein interactions a plus
- Experience in Computational Chemistry tools such as docking, SAR analysis, Schrodinger suite, a plus
- Deep understanding of enhanced sampling techniques a big plus
- Preference for candidates who either have or are capable of authoringmajor Molecular Dynamics algorithms and protocols
Applications can be uploaded or emailed
National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) – R&D SOFC Grid Integration Power Electronics
Morgantown, WV & Pittsburgh, PA
Apply by 6/1/19
Through the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), this posting seeks researchers to participate in the research and development of power electronics applications for interfacing between solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) systems and utility grids. The scientist/researcher will collaborate to study the interactions between SOFC and power conditioning systems and to research novel methods to optimize SOFC system operations with emerging power electronics and power conversion applications.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in these elements (but not necessarily all):
- Experience with designing and implementing controllers for single- and three-phase inverters
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink/PLECS simulation tools or other power electronics simulation packages
- Experience with designing and applying electronics and electrical test equipment including oscilloscopes with current and voltage probes, DSP controllers with PWM capability, impedance measurement systems, LCR meters, network analyzers, function generators, and other power electronics instruments
- Familiar with distribution class, medium voltage converters, such as multi-level converters
Program information: Detailed information about the program can be found at http://www.orau.gov/netl/. Please send a CV to Paul Ohodnicki at email@example.com.
How to apply: Information in regard to the opportunity and link to the application can be found at:
Post-Bachelor’s and Graduate Students: https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/NETL-2019-PIP-Ohodnicki-1
Post-Master’s and Postdocs: https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/NETL-2019-PGRP-Ohodnicki-2
Merck KGaA GOglobal – eCommerce, Life Sciences 2019
Grow. Develop. Experience.
Maximize your potential for development and performance and take the chance to grow within our organization. At GOglobal, you will follow a 24-month individual rotation plan within our healthcare biopharma business, gain international experience and receive exposure to the business as well as visibility at senior management level. On top, you will benefit from competent support by excellent business mentors, from valuable training sessions to foster your professional and personal development and you will gain plenty of opportunity for networking. Do you want to put patients at the center of everything you do – with the goal to help to improve, prolong and create life? Then this is the place for you!
Spend 24 months completing three rotations exploring digital applications within Life Science’s eBusiness division: Digital Marketing, Data Analytics, and Digital Category Management.
Who you are:
- MS/PhD in STEM
- Capable of translating business strategies into digital channel tactics
- Experience in analyzing complex data sets to find actionable insights; and using such insights to develop and manage ongoing projects
- Strength in statistics, data analytics, and machine learning fundamentals (preferred, not required)
- Self-motivated worker who is eager to learn, act and innovate
- Collaborative but with the ability to challenge “current state”
- Bold and audacious individual who has the confidence to believe that you can change the industry
- Sharp communicator and talented presenter with the ability to translate technical content and ideas effectively into business settings