A Reflection on “Fast Learning”

In his lecture video, How to Get the Most Out of Studying, Dr. Chew presents four common false beliefs about learning.  They are as follows:

• Learning is fast
  • Knowledge is composed of isolated facts
  • Being good at a subject is an inborn talent
  • I’m really good at multitasking

Of these false beliefs, the one that has impacted me the most or the one that I tend to believe the easiest has been that learning is fast. This has effected me and my learning in a number of ways.  I often act in a way that learning is fast. I have made it a habit to study last minute, especially when it comes to studying for larger exams. I tend to memorize information in mass amounts in a short period of time, just to ensure that I will be able to regurgitate all of the required information as fast as I can. This has made an impact on my learning because it makes it very hard, if not impossible, to retain information.  I notice that sometimes, even right when I leave the exam, I have forgotten most of the information. This tactic allows for no personal application, and it most definitely makes my learning less effective.  When I slow down, space out my studying, and believe that those strategies make for more effective learning, I am able to retain more information for longer and become a better learner.

Dr. Chew’s full lecture video can be found at the link below.

How to Get the Most Out of Studying