Global Awareness: As a Spanish major, I’ve taken an array of courses that have increased my global awareness and motivated me to stay active in world affairs. This passion (and being a major requirement) drives me to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country during the Summer of 2023. I look forward to expanding my understanding about the Spanish language and culture.

Original Inquiry: In one of my introductory biology classes, I got my first taste of collegiate-level research through a study on ghost shrimp behavior. This gave me a new understanding of the research project and opened my eyes to a number of research positions I plan on applying to in preparation for Medical School.

Academic Enrichment: As a dual-degree student, I’m very motivated to take full course loads with various types of classes. I plan on graduating with my BS in Biology and a BA in Spanish in four years while developing my medical experience outside the classroom. I look forward to classes that aren’t necessarily required for my majors, but connect to my passions and interests – such as medical terminology taught in Spanish.

Leadership Development: In the Mount Leadership Society Scholars, I had the opportunity to be the Summit Committee chair. In this position, I had the opportunity to organize and execute a leadership conference for over 200 students in my scholars program. This position fostered a multitude of leadership skills within me, ranging from the ability to adapt to unexpected changes, more effective communication and delegation, and organization. Most importantly, it instilled in me a new sense of confidence in my leadership.

Service Engagement: One of my favorite service experiences has been my time as a Head Team Leader of the kids ministry at One Place Church. In this position, I had the opportunity to organize and lead elementary kid’s lessons and activities. It challenged me to think creatively and learn new strategies to keep children engaged and helped me form deeper connections with families in my community.