COURSE(S) THAT I SUPERVISE:
- Chinese 4301. Conversational Cantonese for Mandarin Speakers I (3 units, U)
– Also available to Big Ten Academic Alliance institutions via the BTAA CourseShare Program.
COURSES THAT I CURRENTLY TEACH:
- Chinese 4380. The Chinese Language. (3 units, U)
- Chinese 4381. The Chinese Language and Its History. (3 units, U)
- Chinese 4383. The Chinese Language and Its Script. (3 units, U) – to be taught in Sp 2022
- Chinese 5380. Introduction to Chinese Linguistics. (3 units, U G)
– now taught by Xie Laoshi starting 2020-2021 academic year
- Chinese 5381. History of the Chinese Language. (3 units, U G)
- Chinese 5383. Chinese Writing System. (3 units, U G)
- EALL 5383. Scripts of East Asia. (3 units, U G)
- Chinese 5474. Chinese Opera. (3 units, U G)
- Chinese 7382. Chinese Phonology. (3 units, G)
- Chinese 7385. Chinese Dialects. (3 units, G)
- EALL 8870. Research Presentations in East Asian L&L. (1-3 units, G)
Note: This was offered in Spring 2014 as a blended instruction course, in-person in a classroom and virtually via CarmenConnect (since replaced by CarmenZoom).
- Chinese 8897. Departmental Seminar (1-3 units, G)
COURSES THAT I HAVE TAUGHT IN THE PAST (QUARTER SYSTEM): Chinese 104, 205, 206 (3-qtr series of 2nd-level Chinese); Chinese 231 (Traditional Chinese culture); Chinese 784 (Chinese syntax); Chinese 882 (Chinese historical phonology), Chinese 884 (Chinese historical syntax); EALL 694 (Group Studies: Language, ethnic identity & the Asian American experience (Sp Qtr 2006)); and seminars on various topics (Chinese computing; Chinese corpora and concordancing; Chinese language and gender; Chinese language, gender, and humor; etc.).
COURSES OFFERED TO INDIVIDUAL STUDENTS TO SUPPORT THEIR THESIS/DISSERTATION RESEARCH THAT HAVE NO FORMAL COURSE SYLLABI:
- Chinese 4193. Individual Studies (1-3 units, U)
- Chinese 6193. Individual Studies (1-3 units, G)
- Chinese 6999. Thesis Research (1-3 units, 9 max or 3 completions, G)
- Chinese 8999. Dissertation Research (1-3 units, 20 max or 8 completions, G)