(Note: A new academic year officially begins in Summer Semester. Note that prior to Summer Semester 2012, The Ohio State University had been operating under the quarter system.)
CURRENT ACADEMIC YEAR
- “Cantonese xiehouyu: Traditional Chinese witty proverbs in a regional dialect culture.” With (second author) Jocelyn Chey, University of Sydney. (Panel: Australasian Perspectives on Contemporary Humour Research.) The 27th International Society for Humor Studies (ISHS) Conference, 29 June to 3 July 2015, Names University, Oakland, CA.
- “Cantonese hip-hop songs and their linguistic devices for identity formation.” With (first author) Tsz-Him Tsui, Ohio State University. The 27th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-27), 3-5 April 2015, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA.
“Tone, stress and other acoustic phenomena: In-class recording and analysis using Praat.” Invited panelist on one of two Special Panels on the Art of Teaching Chinese Linguistics to Undergrads in North America. The 27th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-27), 3-5 April 2015, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC YEARS
- “Legacy of Cantonese opera performer Hong Xiannü (紅線女).” The 2014 CHINOPERL Annual Conference. 27 March 2014. Philadelphia Downtown Marriott, Philadelphia, PA.[The CHINese Oral and PERorming Literature (CHINOPERL) conferences are held in conjunction with the annual meetings of the Association for Asian Studies (AAS). The 2014 AAS meeting (27-30 March 2014) will be held at the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott, Philadelphia, PA.]
- “Gender, Society and the Chinese Language.” Invited talk at Emory University, Atlanta, GA. 20 March 2014.
- “Orthographic variants in the Cantonese love ballad, Romance of the Fancy Notepaper (Huajian Ji 花箋記): 1713 to present-day editions.” One of the invited keynote speakers of the Second Workshop on Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics (WICL 2).
7 March 2014. Organized by Alan Yu and held at his institution at the University of Chicago, IL. WICL 2 website. [Note: WICL 2 is held back-to-back with the Second East Asian Psycholinguistics Colloquium (EAPC2), organized by Alan Yu’s colleague, Ming Xiang, at U. of Chicago. [Note: WICL 3 will return in 2016 to The Ohio State University, which organized the First Workshop on Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics (WICL) on 16-17 March 2012. WICL is held biennially]
A new web page will be prepared later on for this website. In the meantime, available here is an archived copy of my conference presentations (in PDF format, through Spring 2014). (For earlier years, the webpage *was* still accessible until 20 August 2014 at: <http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/chan9/conf.htm>.)