Peer Mentor Reflection #4

Weeks 7-8: October 1st – 12th

Over the past few weeks, I’ve spent a lot of time creating my internship project about mental health resources on campus. After meeting with my advisor to brainstorm and plan the project, I decided to create a PowerPoint presentation to share in class and an informational brochure that lists the locations and website links for each of the resources I discussed. Students will be able to access these materials on their Carmen Canvas page so they can have easy access to it. I shared my presentation in class and even though it was the day before fall break and students were eager to head home, I feel that the presentation went well. I organized an activity where students paired up and shared some “happy” things about their day and some “crappy”things — despite the silliness of the activity, I think they enjoyed it, and it got students talking with each other and sharing both good and bad news.

I also held my second peer mentor event this week. I went with several students down to the Short North (we rode the COTA so they could practice using the bus system) and had coffee at Mission Coffee. I had decided to limit the number of students who could attend the event to 3 to encourage an organic discussion and this seemed to be effective. The girls were all chatty with each other and seemed comfortable sharing stories about their hometowns and their transitions to OSU.