Year in Review

I began my college career as a chemical engineering major. After only a few weeks, I quickly realized that this was not the field for me. I wondered what career path I should pursue and began to attend career counseling sessions at OSU’s CCS center. I decided that I might want to consider genetic counseling as a career. My second semester, I started coursework as a molecular genetics major pursuing an English minor. This mix of science and humanities classes is a much better fit for me. I have also begun working as a research assistant for OSU’s Clinical Cancer Genetics Program. At my job, I work under a genetic counselor and do research on papillary thyroid cancer. Although I was nervous about balancing work with studying, I have fine-tuned my time-management skills and have been successful in achieving a balance. I have also been involved as Communications Coordinator for the Undergraduate Genetic Counseling Club, where I provide information about upcoming meetings to current members and advertise our club to prospective members. Recently, I have also considered career paths in psychological or academic counseling. For this reason, I will also be pursuing a psychology minor. Additionally, in the fall I will be a peer mentor for the Arts and Sciences Honors program. I am very excited about this role and can’t wait to start! Overall, I have faced my share of struggles about my major and career choices, but I have worked hard to create opportunities for myself to explore the different roles that I could potentially pursue.