Leaders do not have to be outgoing, success-driven and positioned at the top of the organizational chart. Many of today’s leaders are reserved, energized by failure and have roles all over the organizational chart. Yes, these leaders are powerful; however, their strength and influence come from the inside out, not the other way around.
Tips to keep in mind to help you succeed as a leader:
- Accept failure: Failure is the stepping stone of success
- Embrace who you are: Self –knowledge is critical. If you are an introvert do not try to be an extrovert. Use the strength you already have.
- Build relationships early: Be a team player on a regular basis, don’t wait until you are looking for a win.
- Question everything: Ask yourself and others; If you had my job, what would you do?
- Find people who challenge you: Include team members who play devil’s advocate.
- Take initiative: If there is something you want, speak up.
Inc.com “5 Habits of the Most Connected People” July 26, 2017, Andrew Thomas