Bullying by industry, education has been reported to have 23% of respondents to surveys indicate they have been bullied or have witnessed bullying by others in the workplace.
Signs of bullying include, but are not limited to:
- Constant and unfair criticism
- Excessive teasing
- Yelling, shouting and screaming
- Insults and behind-the-back put-downs
- Hostile glares and other intimidating gestures
- Malicious gossip
- Monopolizing supplies and other resources
- Aggressive emails or notes
- Overt threats, aggression or violence
It is important to professionally confront the bully. Many bullies aren’t aware that they’re bullies. They just think that is the way things are done. Many times, after a bully is confronted the turnaround in behavior is unbelievable.
Document the bullying when the bully fails to improve behavior. Gather evidence, work with Elayne and OHR.
HR Magazine March 2016, “Where the Bullies Are”, by Dana Wilkie