Timeline for Optometry at The Ohio State University

1870 The Ohio General Assembly establishes the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College.
1873 Twenty-four students begin classes at the new College, located on the old Neil farm just two miles north of downtown Columbus.
1878 The name of the College is changed to The Ohio State University.
1914 The Ohio State Optical Association (later known as the Ohio Optometric Association) raises $3,000 to begin an optometry program at Ohio State; and a physics professor, Dr. Charles Sheard, is selected as the first director of the new program in “Applied Optics.”
1915 The two-year program in Applied Optics is expanded to a four-year program.
1919 Ohio becomes the 45th state to pass an Optometric Practice Act.
1936 Dr. Glenn A. Fry is appointed Director of the OSU School of Optometry.
1937 The “Applied Optics” curriculum becomes the “Optometry” curriculum at Ohio State.
1942 Dr. Henry Hofstetter becomes the first OSU PhD graduate in Physiological Optics.
1951 The OSU School of Optometry moves from the Mendenhall Physics Lab building on north campus to a new (and current) building on south campus at 338 West Tenth Avenue.
1961 The West Wing (four attached floors) of the optometry building is opened.
1964 The 6-year OD degree is approved to replace the previous 5-year BS-Optometry Degree.
1968 The OSU School of Optometry becomes the OSU College of Optometry; Dr. Frederick W. Hebbard is selected as the first Dean; the first OD class graduates in Ohio Stadium.
1978 Optometry acquires the A-wing of Starling-Loving Hall for clinic, research, and administrative space.
1982 The College adopts a logo patch to be worn on all clinic coats.
1984 Ohio passes Diagnostic Pharmaceutical Agents legislation.
1988 Dean Hebbard retires; Dean Richard M. Hill is selected as his successor.
1991 The OSU optometry curriculum expands from 12 to 14 academic quarters.
1992 Ohio passes Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agents legislation.
1995 Dean Hill retires; Dean John Schoessler is selected as his successor.
2002 A fund-raising campaign known as “Raise the Roof” is created to build a state-of-the-art research facility by adding three floors to the West Wing of the Optometry building.
2004 Dean Schoessler retires; Dean Melvin Shipp is selected as his successor.
2006 Dean Shipp appoints the college’s BEST (Building the Educational System for Tomorrow) committee to make recommendations on how “…to optimally educate optometrists in the 21st century and beyond.”
2007 The Wildermuth Optometric Research Clinic is opened.
2012 The University changes its academic calendar from quarters to semesters.
2014 Optometry at Ohio State celebrates its 100th anniversary! Dean Shipp retires; Dean Karla Zadnik becomes the college’s fifth dean.