Meng C. Lin, OD, PhD – Class of 1996 – Notable Alumna

Meng C. LinFollowing her optometric education at Ohio State, Dr. Meng C. Lin completed her residency training at the University of Alabama School of Optometry in 1997. Thereafter, she pursued her PhD training in Vision Science at the University of California, Berkeley (UCB). She received an NIH Clinician Scientist award (K12) for her post-doctoral training in epidemiology and thin-film theory. Today she is an Associate Professor of Clinical Optometry and Vision Science at the UC Berkeley School of Optometry, where her research laboratory focuses on ocular-surface physiology and mechanisms responsible for tear film stabilization. Dr. Lin is the founding Director of the UCB Clinical Research Center and has led the center since 2004. Dr. Lin also established the Dry Eye Clinic and Ocular Surface Imaging Clinic at UCB, both of which are specialty clinics that provide care to patients with ocular surface diseases. In addition, she is Co-Director of the newly established Translational Research CORE Facility in the UC Berkeley School of Optometry. Dr. Lin’s passion is training the next generation of clinician scientists who are interested in clinical and translational vision-related research. She writes, “I would like to congratulate my alma mater, The Ohio State University College of Optometry, on its centennial, a historic milestone in the history of optometry. Looking back at my career, I feel immensely grateful for the didactic and clinical foundation that the school provided. As an Ohio State Optometry graduate I have benefited greatly from opportunities to meet so many other alumni who are leaders in our field and who have helped me determine the path of my career. Thank you all, and Go Buckeyes!”