Michael Raies, OD – Class of 1989 – Notable Alumnus

Michael RaiesDr. Raies practices optometry with his wife, Dr. Kelly (nee Carson) Raies, in Portsmouth, Ohio. The practice was founded by Kelly’s father, Dr. Raymond Carson. Dr. Raies is a member of the Ohio Optometric Association (OOA) and the American Optometric Association. He is past zone governor for the OOA. He is also a member of Vision Source, a national association of private practice optometrists.

Dr. Raies has a variety of hobbies. He has performed in the Southern Ohio Light Opera and the Portsmouth Little Theater, and has performed in and co-directed the Red Stockings Revue, a local variety show in Portsmouth. He is an avid runner, has completed the New York City Marathon two times, and still competes in 5K runs regularly. His favorite hobby is managing and performing in the band BAD HABITS, “The EyeDocs of Rock”. This five-piece classic rock band, four of which are fellow optometrists, has been performing since 1987. They have performed annually for the EastWest Eye Conference at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio since 1999, as well as many optometric conventions around the United States since 2001.Michael Raies

Dr. Raies is an elder and chancel choir member at Second Presbyterian Church, and is active in various charitable organizations and events locally. He and his wife, Kelly, have three daughters, Sarah, Allison, and Anne Marie.

He writes, “Music has always been a big part of my life. When I decided to attend The Ohio State University College of Optometry, I never dreamed that choosing a career as an optometrist would also give me the opportunity to pursue my interest as a musician as well. I feel truly blessed to be in a career that I love, which has also helped enhance a hobby that I love!”