Dr. Paul Gamertsfelder – Class of 1954 – Notable Alumnus

Paul GamertsfelderI have always enjoyed helping people. In 1972 I founded a program through my church called Work and Witness. In the early years I traveled with 15 teams to Haiti to give free eye exams and care to Haitians. From this beginning I have now coordinated and traveled on over 65 trips around the world helping in any way needed to work and witness to how Christ can change a life and make life worth living.

I have served my church, Shepherd Church of the Nazarene, in many capacities from the local church to the worldwide denomination. I now enjoy helping with mowing and trimming the church property. I also enjoy music from playing the organ in the past, to singing in the choir now. For the past 45 years I have faithfully worked out at a gym, and in the summer months enjoy riding my bike on the many beautiful trails around Columbus. I am blessed with good health and will soon reach the age of 86.

This past March an 18,000 sq. ft. facility was dedicated in my honor in Frome, Jamaica. You can learn more about the Gamertsfelder Medical Center at www.missionofsight.org.