Harry Fagedes, OD – Class of 1954 – Notable Alumnus

Harry FagedesHard work got me through The Ohio State University College of Optometry to achieve a B average. I also ran the dishwasher at Baker Hall — dirty dishes but delightful women — where I met my wonderful wife. I spent 3.5 years in the Navy and became the Signal Officer on the USS Intrepid. We returned to Cincinnati and soon established an urban practice with emphasis on contact lenses. Also, at night school, I was awarded an MBA degree, perhaps the first for an OD. I published several articles on the subject of contact lenses and was the first person to publish information on the dangers of thimerosal and the million dollars of damage it caused contact lens wearers. I served two years as Secretary of Radio Reading Services.

Concerned about the future of optometry, I became active in optometric affairs. I caused the state association to take a stand against vertical integration within the optical industry. Look at us now! I served for five years and became the President of the Ohio Optometric Association. In that capacity, I was instrumental in passing the law that allowed us to use diagnostics. I became aware at this time of the dangers of the commercial elements achieving price advantage over the independents and created the name “Diversified Ophthamics” and worked with my colleagues to make it a major corporation serving the independent optometrists. Optometry has been wonderful to me. I sold my last optical laboratory this year and have retired at age 82. I am so blessed to have a daughter who became an OD.