Joseph A. Halabis, OD FAAO – Class of 1982 – Notable Alumnus

Joseph A. HalabisMy tenure with the Department of Veterans Affairs is now going on 29 years, and my Academy Fellowship more than 25. I owe a great debt to those who have mentored me throughout my career. Early on, they showed me the value in teaching. I have had academic appointments with Indiana University, The Ohio State University, and now Duke University. Twice I have been named Clinical Professor of the Year of the Duke University Ophthalmic Technician Program. I have enjoyed the opportunity to lecture locally, nationally, and, on several occasions, internationally. My articles have appeared in numerous peer-reviewed journals.

My interest in ocular photography dates back to my days as a student at Ohio State. My photographs have graced journal covers, clinical articles, and book chapters. In biweekly rounds presentations, I share my clinical photographs and videos with Duke attendings, residents, and fellows. My images appear in the online Atlas of Ophthalmology and Shield’s Textbook of Glaucoma, Sixth Edition. I have won a number of ocular photography awards, including the 2013 American Academy of Optometry Anterior Segment Grand Prize.

My wife Debi and I met at Ohio State and have been married for 32 years. We both love animals and the outdoors. I have a passion for horses and riding, which has allowed me to volunteer as an Equestrian Coach for Special Olympics. Our home is now Hillsborough, North Carolina.